Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Best holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best holster

What's the best holster for a colt 1911 lightweight commander? That won't scratch my gun up.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #2

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Are you wanting OWB or IWB?

Leather,kydex, or nylon?

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 08-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
Are you wanting OWB or IWB?

Leather,kydex, or nylon?
Whatever is the most comfortable. I don't care how much it cost either as long as it doesnt mess my gun up and it's comfortable.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swann

Whatever is the most comfortable. I don't care how much it cost either as long as it doesnt mess my gun up and it's comfortable.
Crossbreed supertuck makes good holsters

OR

We have a member here that hand crafts leather

20120810_095300-1.jpg

holsters "IWB or OWB",and they are the most comfortable that ive ever wore. His name is "longballer71", give him a PM

Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Crossbreed or Galco....but expect normal ware on any firearm u holster.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Honestly, what's the point in carrying a gun on your person if you want to keep it pristine? Not knocking on you at all, because if your talking about the gun in your avatar, I dont blame you :P. but if you're carrying a gun for self defense (the only reason to carry) it is a TOOL, and tools get beat up over time. If you don't want it to get messed up, lock it away in the safe and show it love by taking it out to clean it and shoot it. But don't expect any holster you find to not show wear over time.

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

60tbird Likes This 
Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just got a N82 professional holster for my glock 19, and its very very comfortable, it was 73$ with shipping. it has a twist release system and is polycarbonate instead of kydex. Best part 100% made in USA.

http://n82tactical.com/n82store/

Last edited by Glockluster; 08-24-2012 at 03:14 AM.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Any holster can cause scratches if you don't keep it clean, though leather (especially lined leather) tend to hold dust, dirt, and sand more readily than the plastic holsters.

Over time, leather holsters tend to become more comfortable, because it will form to your wearing location and adjust to the curves. Kydex and other non-leather materials tend to keep their original form. I prefer leather to Kydex/plastic, though I also have some of the Blackhawk holsters that I usually wear as a paddle.

I have some 1911 holsters (full-size and Commander) from Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, Galco, Bianchi, DeSantis, and some off brands. Some are IWB, some are belt holsters / OWB, some are paddles. The Sparks & Rosen holsters are excellent, but they tend to be expensive, and fully boned custom holsters frequently have wait time measured in months. However, Brownell's and some other catalog / online vendors have ready-to-sell units available (the Rosen holsters are the "Express" line ... not completely boned, but fit, carry, and retention are all as good as it gets for that style of holster.

For "off the shelf" leather, OWB, I like the DeSantis holsters a lot. They cover the gun from the tip of the hammer all the way to the muzzle. They fit well, hide well (as well as an external full-sized gun is going to hide), and get comfortable in a fairly short time.

The Galcos are pretty nice too, so are the Bianchis ... nuts ... they're all pretty nice, I just prefer the DeSantis (Speed Scabbard, OWB), Sparks (Summer Special, SSII, IWB), and Rosen (OWB, uses wrap straps instead of slots ... easy to put on and take off without having to unbuckle).

Galco, IMO, makes some great shoulder rigs. I have a Jackass and "Miami Vice" and love 'em both. If you go that route, get the off-side ammo/mag pouches (acts as a counterweight and balances the rig better), and (I recommend, they're not mandatory) use the tie downs, both sides.

Good Luck. Get a few and try 'em out ... everyone's built different, so different holster systems fit some people better than others.

Last edited by scottmac; 08-24-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #9

A gun with holster wear is a loved gun

Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks everybody I went with the crossbreed holster. It'll be here in 4weeks.