Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Best handgun holster material?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best handgun holster material?

Material wise, whats the best for handguns? I dont want it to leave my handguns scuffed too bad from usage

Im thinking Fobus might be good, any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Any holster will cause wear on a gun over time but some are more gentle then others. Leather is typically thought of to be the kindest to a guns finish as it is soft. The Fobus you mentioned is kydex which is basically a hard plasitic molded to fit a given gun. The plastic will cause wear more quickly and in a different fashion then leather.
Leather will mold to the gun as it breaks in and you'll see the most wear around higher pressure points. Kydex wears more from drawing and reholstering the weapon, where ever it makes contact during that process.

I carry a Crossbreed Supertuck which a hybrid. It's a leather back with a kydex mold attached to it. I absolutely love it, can wear it anywhere even while driving and I can still tuck my shirt in. Check them out.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

"Best" is hard to define. Best really depends on you and what you want out of your holster. A plastic holster (you can use different words but plastic they are) is faster (unless you are using one with retention). Fobus holster are more than serviceable and usually run less than $25. Quality leather holsters usually will start at twice that, and sometimes much more than that. I seem to have better luck concealing a leather holster, it's "lines" seem to blend better to my body. I have also found that poly guns and plastic holsters work well together as the two materials don't seem to wear on each other like a plastic holster on a steel gun.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:33 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like and think leather best. But I am an old fashioned "put my magnum in a Bianchi" guy and don't mind a little holster wear on the barrel. It is minimal anyway. It just gets that way after a few years of use/carry. It just gives the magnum a little character.

Just my opinion.

OC

"magbum"

Old 12-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My friend wants to sell me his holster, he never used it, buts Army issue for the Beretta M9 (which is the gun I carry)

I think that'll do for now, eventually I want a shoulder holster, Im going to be getting a concealed carry license soon