Best Ear Protection - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Best Ear Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 03:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It seems old shooter just say "Huh" a lot regardless of ear gear. Use the best you can afford it will be a good investment.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:54 AM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use both ear plugs and muffs when shooting my rifles as the muff gets pushed away from my right ear by the gunstock.

Also the double protection is just that, double.

I got muffs with mics. in them and I could not get them to work well for me.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:03 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

hearing loss is permanent and once it's lost, even to a small degree, it's gone. buy the best hearing protection you can afford.

i use several different types depending upon what i am shooting. most pistols i will use just muffs, but some pistols if they have portd barrels, i will double up with muffs and plugs.

rifles, i generally use just plugs becasue the muffs interfere with the stock when shooting from the bench and using a scope. unscoped rifles i may use muffs though.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 AM   #14
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

I haven't heard good enough reviews of the electronic muffs to make them worthwhile to balance out potential hearing loss. Despite not necessarily getting the best cheek weld on a stock, my hearing's a hell of a lot more important. And quite honestly, I'm not going to be a sniper shooting a mile. Howard Leight R-03318 Leightning L3 Shooter's Premium Earmuff with a NRR 30 db rating are fantastic, comfortable, I can still hear conversations fine, and it barely interferes with me on proper head position. Indoor pistol/rifle range, or outdoor covered rifle range - the noise reduction is great. Best $20 you can spend. Add soft ear plugs, and you increase the noise protection even more.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-16-2014, 04:34 AM   #15

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
I haven't heard good enough reviews of the electronic muffs to make them worthwhile to balance out potential hearing loss. Despite not necessarily getting the best cheek weld on a stock, my hearing's a hell of a lot more important. And quite honestly, I'm not going to be a sniper shooting a mile. Howard Leight R-03318 Leightning L3 Shooter's Premium Earmuff with a NRR 30 db rating are fantastic, comfortable, I can still hear conversations fine, and it barely interferes with me on proper head position. Indoor pistol/rifle range, or outdoor covered rifle range - the noise reduction is great. Best $20 you can spend. Add soft ear plugs, and you increase the noise protection even more.
The Howard Leights I reference about are about $60, but they have the electronic boost, which I find well worth the money. They are also rated at 30 db NRR, which is excellent. I love them.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Old 02-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #16
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Best Ear Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP03 View Post
The Howard Leights I reference about are about $60, but they have the electronic boost, which I find well worth the money. They are also rated at 30 db NRR, which is excellent. I love them.

You're right they do look good. I must have looked up the wrong one before. Always interested I'm finding something that works well . Does it stop the crack of a rifle blast really well? I've heard that as a shortcoming on many.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 02-16-2014, 05:38 AM   #17

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Use muffs And plugs, buddy of mine lost half of His Hearing by just using one(plugs) Wasn't even His Gun that did the damage, the stall next to him, someone cracked off a 44 Magnum, next to His head! Even if your gun is tame sounding, you never know about others around you! Again, another area people over spend! Disposable plugs are dirt cheap and about any muffs, designed for shooting will work! I think I paid 20 bucks at walmart for muffs! They work great as double protection!!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #18
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

I have the Howard Leights, as well as two pr. Of the Caldwell's for me and the Mz.,...we put foam or plastic baffle plugs in anyway when indoors. Outdoors we just use the muffs no plugs. I already have a 10-12% loss in the left ear due to a "Range accident" in the Reserves(some Dumb$&!? Spec. 4 had a discharge with me, and the S-RSO next to him because he was crank-A zing about his M-16's barrel being "Bent"...)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 02-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #19

Liked 55 Times on 36 Posts

I use the ear-pro sonic defenders® by surefire©. I currently use the nrr: 26 passives. They make my 12 gauge with a 28" barrel sound like a 22lr when it goes off. They also work OK for hunting (I have a noise sensitivity problem).

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Firearms Talk mobile app