Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Best Ear Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Best Ear Protection

Can someone please share with me what they believe is the best noise canceling headset for the price? I am about to purchase my very first one, and I want to get it right. Thx in advance

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

For target plinking the cheap ones will do just fine. For hunting, you should get some with directional microphones.

No offense and none taken

Old 02-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Any particular model or brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

Get one from Sports Academy or Gander Mountain. If you don't like it, return it.

No offense and none taken

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 931 Posts
Likes Given: 976

GlockBurg,

I have used them for years and I prefer PELTOR TACTICAL Electronic Ear Muffs.
The Tactical model unlike others lets you get down and have a proper cheek weld when shooting rifles and shotguns. Most Ear Muffs are very Round on the Sides and will cause you to not be able to get a proper cheek weld. In addition each earpiece contains two AA Batteries that cuts the sound level off at a specific decibel level. This allows you to carry on a normal conversation at the bench or when hearing range commands given. But when the weapon fires it cuts off the harmful sounds. You can get them with the normal over the head band or the behind the head wire band which I prefer due to the fact I can wear a ball cap without the button on top of the hat burrowing into the top of my head due to the pressure of a normal over the head mounting band. Or the band wanting to slip back on my head while shooting. The below picture of the ones I am speaking about are upside down in the picture. The Wire goes behind your head. And they are very comfortable.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 02-15-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockBurg View Post
Any particular model or brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Your hearing does not come back after it is lost. I have always used muffs indoors and plugs outside. I still have hearing loss (not at all deaf, but noticeable) after forty years. Get the best muffs you can afford. I use Peltor Tactical Pro. They are electronic and are on the expensive side. They work great. You can also double up, muffs and plugs. Especially indoors next to somebody with a .44 mag. or worse.
Oh! And turn your music down!!!!!

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #7

Liked 63 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I have these and like them a lot.

Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro

They let you hold normal conversations yet block the noise when shots are fired. I have used these at indoor ranges next to some hefty calibers and they work great.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Dahamp2003 Likes This 
Old 02-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 931 Posts
Likes Given: 976

25-5,

Hit the nail on the head! When exposed to excessive decibels ear plugs "Are Not Enough! Contrary to popular belief! Why? Because the bones around the outside of the ear also transmits sound to the ear drum which can be harmful. A perfect example of this was when I was on SWAT for 16+ years. When we started out we had cumberson mikes and ear muffs to communicate with eachother and the Command Post. Then came the wonderful age of technology. We then went to small pads that rested against our jaw bones in front of the ears and left our ear channel completely open to hear with. We found that we could whisper in the small micraphones we wore and the voice even being a whisper would pass through the pad through voice vibration to our jaw bone bone and on to the eardrum. We could hear someone speaking just as clearly as listening through our ear. With that in mind, it proves if exposed to harmful decibles the ear drum still can be injured by the bones around the ear transmitting sound. That could be why 25-5 advised he still has hearing loss only using ear plugs outside? So as he stated your hearing is very valuable and when gone it is gone! So do not take the risk with inferior ear protection spend the extra money and get some quality ear protection that works. I have had one set of my Peltors for well over 15 years. And a couple of years ago purchased two more sets for my grandkids and friends to wear when we go shooting. Dependable protection makes the cost for good quality ear muffs very inexpensive if you follow me! When we instruct the LE Carbine schools I double up with the foam ear plugs and the Peltors as 25-5 mentioned! (Concrete Baffels & Walls!)

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 02-15-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 99 Posts

At the range, or target shooting. I use both muffs and ear plugs. The muffs are Caldwells, and they have stereo front facing mikes. The important thing to look for is the latch time on the electronics as to how fast they shut down the amplification, and how many dB the cut the sound.

For shooting I personally don't wear the noise canceling ear muffs. Those I use when I have to fly in small aircraft where that ambient drone of the engine is about a hundred decibels, and I have to listen to it for hours.

I don't wear them for hunting. But. I hunt spot and stalk style, in fairly open country. The one or two rounds I shoot when hunting, while damaging are far less so than the hundred plus in a short time of a range session.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:12 AM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm a fan of the ear muffs and I have a pair of Howard Leights.

I think I got mine fro around $20 on Amazon.