best biometric quick access pistol safe

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > best biometric quick access pistol safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 140 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default best biometric quick access pistol safe

I want to get my kids who have 3 little ones of their own a pistol safe. I would like to get them that will function on the first try 99% of the time. Any one have experience with these? JMB

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

This is what I have. It is very easy to use, very dependable and I haven't had a problem with it yet.

http://www.gunvault.com/multivault-biometric-gvb2000.html

Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Biometric and functioning 99% of the time seem to go against each other. While many people don't have any issues with them you can search a little and find all kinds of issues people have with different brands. Search Defco video "safe to armed in seconds" and see how easily some can be deteated. Some people just can't get their fingerprints to read. Dry rough hands, lotion, sweat, blood, cuts, etc., all seem to have varying effects. For reliability I like the mechanical push button locks on a handgun safe. They are just as quick and have a proven history of being reliable. I don't know if all the biometric safes are the same, but the ones I have looked at go into a sleep mode when not being used. When you swipe your finger it has to wake up and that take a few seconds which wipes out a speed advantage over a mechanical lock.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I think they are cool. But I'm opposed to all electronic safes. I prefer mechanical for reliability and security.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #5

Liked 2392 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My bedside I have a digital keypad safe. Wife bought it for me. Has a key override, but that wouldn't be good in a hurried situation. It's made by Winchester, just something to keep our daughter away.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
Biometric and functioning 99% of the time seem to go against each other. While many people don't have any issues with them you can search a little and find all kinds of issues people have with different brands. Search Defco video "safe to armed in seconds" and see how easily some can be deteated. Some people just can't get their fingerprints to read. Dry rough hands, lotion, sweat, blood, cuts, etc., all seem to have varying effects. For reliability I like the mechanical push button locks on a handgun safe. They are just as quick and have a proven history of being reliable. I don't know if all the biometric safes are the same, but the ones I have looked at go into a sleep mode when not being used. When you swipe your finger it has to wake up and that take a few seconds which wipes out a speed advantage over a mechanical lock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
My bedside I have a digital keypad safe. Wife bought it for me. Has a key override, but that wouldn't be good in a hurried situation. It's made by Winchester, just something to keep our daughter away.
My biometric Gun Vault is NOT a fingerprint reader. Like Kytowboater, it is a digital keypad reader. I have never had a problem with it. It does have a key over ride but the key is in the lock box in the bank.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My biometric Gun Vault is NOT a fingerprint reader. Like Kytowboater, it is a digital keypad reader. I have never had a problem with it. It does have a key over ride but the key is in the lock box in the bank.
The one you referenced is biometric. It has a reader for your index finger. Looks like it also can be accessed with a push button code or a key.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 05-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #8

I use a Barska top opening biometric safe. It's where I keep my carry pistol so I use it at least twice a day. I've had it for 2 years and only just recently had to change the batteries. I have it assigned to read 4 fingers (which it's really easy to add a new finger print but still secure), and I've tried to see if I can trick it into opening for a finger that is not assigned and it never has. And I've never had it not open for me. I was very impressed. It's got a good amount of room and it has never failed me. I would highly recommend it.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
The one you referenced is biometric. It has a reader for your index finger. Looks like it also can be accessed with a push button code or a key.
Oops, sorry. I referenced the wrong one. Mine does not read fingerprints but opens to a pattern of key pads. I wondered why the price of the one I referenced was higher than what my safe cost. Sorry for the confusion.