best ammo/accessories for my ruger gp100?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > best ammo/accessories for my ruger gp100?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default best ammo/accessories for my ruger gp100?

I just got my first gun so I wanna do it right. Can anyone tell me some good ammo to try out, also the difference in firing 38 and 357 in it. People say that the grip on it is the best but what do you all think? Anything else like a wolff spring kit?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to the forum! How about stopping by the introductions area and let everyone here know a little bit about yourself.

What are you wanting this ammo for? Target? Self defense? does it have a purpose or are you just wanting to shoot a little bit to get the feel for the difference?

To find the ammo your pistol likes for any use you'll have to try different kinds. Every pistol/rifle will shoot ammo a little different, even if it's the exact same weapon. If you can tell us what the ammo will be used for we can point you in a better direction.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Last edited by spittinfire; 01-05-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply and i will.
Basically this will be a range/home protection gun so I wanna know what to ammo to use for what. Like the difference in grain. What kind of bullets for target practice and for home defense. Best brand cause I don't want to use cheap ammo, also if theirs any good accessories cause people said that wolff spring kit is good but I don't know what it does.
I am new to this so thanks a lot

Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Target I would go with a full metal jacket, simply because they're clean. In 38 you'll find most taget loads to be 130grs such as WWB(Winchester white box) or Remington. You'll find other weights but in your local wally world or dicks, that's what you'll find.
357, 125gr and 158gr are standards but you'll most likely see 125s(again and WM or Dicks).
Self Defense
in 38 125gr is a common weight and 110 is gaining popularity. You can't go wrong with Gold Dot, Hydra Shocks, or Winchester Rangers or DPX. I arm my wife with 125gr Gold Dots in 38 Special.
The 357 standard is now 125gr as well and the same bullet names apply. I have mainly 158gr 357s because of the weapon I got into 357s with and none of those reasons apply to your weapon. For defense against 2 legged creatures, I would use 125gr in my 357s.

You'll find many flavors and opinions in weight but in 38 or 357 the 125gr is hard to beat and your GP will eat either happily. I hope this helps, if you have more questions, just ask.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #5

That helps a ton thanks much! What about those wolff spring kits? What do they do

Old 01-05-2010, 02:57 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Unfortunately, the ammo shortage has left me shooting whatever I can find. I shoot .38's out of my Ruger Six's 90% of the time. I have some 180 grain hard cast ammo for carrying while hunting and have some 125 gr hollow poing for what I keep in the house. However, 158 grain soft points will do just fine as a self defense round. I recently got 100 rd pack of Federal 125 grain semi jacketed hollow points at WalMart for 48.50. But, as the other guys said, your Ruger will shoot anything .38, .38+p, .357 mag light grain or really heavy(180 gr plus ) with no problems. In case you were wondering, the standard and historical ammo for .38's and .357 mags are 158 grain LRN or lead round nose ammo. These work just fine but some other ammo has been produced in the last few years that give you more options. Congrats.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #7

Is there any cheap ammo that isn't bad for my pistol that I can get a ton of if I want to spend a day at the range and not be out a ton of money? Or when its cheap do I just have to clean my gun more? But what would be the most bang for my buck

Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Monarch is a cheap brand and if you have an Acedemy sporting goods near you. I'm sure you can find it elsewhere. Buy in bulk when you can. Winchester has a 100 rd box for 45 to 50 bucks. These are both .38's. You can order in bulk on line through Cabela's. There stuff is usually quite good. Most of the really corosive ammo is for military type rounds. .223, .308, 7.62X39, stuff like that. It is always good to clean your gun after you shoot it. Get a $15 cleaning kit from Wal-Mart. You'll have brushes and solvent and pathces(which you'll need a lot of so go ahead and get more than what comes in the kit). When cleaning, first make sure its unloaded, then put some solvent on a patch and run it through your barrel then a patch of solvent through your cylinders. then brush 5to 10 times in each and the barrel. Then a nother patch of solvent in each, then clean patches until its all dry and clean.
Get a toothbrush of solvent and brush out the workings a bit. then clean with patches. Then, a little drop of gun oil or tri care in the workings making sure it doesnt leave enough residue to collect dust and crap, then a t-shirt rag or the like and wipe on a light light coat of oil on the metal of the gun. There is some dry stuff the military developed that is supposed to be great for keeping a gun clean and lubed. Its called something like 690 or some number or letter combination. Also, hornady makes a spray called one shot that is supposed to clean and lube and protect but I've never used it. I might though. Some of the other guys might know different stuff or have a better cleaning method. I was brought up old school with WD40 Once every couple of years being the treatment. I don't do that any more. Seems crazy to me now.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #9

Thanks a ton for the help you guys
One more question (actually ill have 100 more I bet)
What are those upgrade spring kits and whatnot, what do they do?

Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #10

HELLO FELLOW GP100 owner,i would guess that the spring kit is for the trigger assembly,ie for worn out sloppiness weak trigger pull whatever ive had mine a long time and its just as nice and crisp as when it was new.i would not myself install a wolf spring kit,not saying they are not good as i do not know or have any experience with them,what i would say is that if you were just refurbing to like new condition i would buy stock ruger replacement springs as this gun and other rugers i have shot always feel smooth with no fancy work done