Anti-Tilt Followers (CProducts)???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > Anti-Tilt Followers (CProducts)???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Anti-Tilt Followers (CProducts)???

I bought 3 used Kay industries 30 rd. AR mags. They are aluminum, and in good shape. They have what I believe to be CProducts Anti-Tilt Followers in them. The followers are orange and look just like Magpul anti-tilt followers, except they don't have the MP logo. They have 556 in small numbers on the end of the follower (front of the mag). I have a CProducts magazine with a gray anti-tilt follower that also says 556 in larger numbers, but in the middle of the follower. The CProducts magazine with a gray anti-tilt follower works fine. However, ALL THREE Kay industries mags with the orange followers caused a FTF (failure to feed) after exactly three rounds! The followers looks pretty much identical to the CProducts 556 follower. Do any of you have any experience with these orange smaller font 556 followers? Should I just get some Magpul followers and swap them out? Could it be the springs? Thanks for your help. I've posted some pics for comparison. The CProducts 556 follower in the pic is also orange, but mine is gray.

kay-ind.-30-rd.-2.0.jpg   556-side-.jpg   556-close-up-.jpg   cproducts-follower.jpg  

Last edited by ARnoob; 08-30-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Take off the floor plates and check the springs. A general rule of thumb is to have at least 3 full coils of free length beyond the mag body length. If you have bad springs, that could be the problem. While you are at it, make sure the followers move smoothly and freely throughout. Any small dings (not noticeable from the outside) can cause feeding problems.

You got these mags used? Maybe someone unloaded their problem mags on you.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Robo. I had a feeling that it's the springs. My brother seemed to think so as well. I need to take them apart. The springs looked old and almost rusty. Is it worth it to buy and install new springs, or just get new mags for about $9 each?

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

$9 mags are going to have 50 cent springs. If the bodies are good, just get good springs and they will last a lifetime. A cheap spring will last a lifetime, too. That lifetime will just be shortened.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=robocop10mm;154154]$9 mags are going to have 50 cent springs. If the bodies are good, just get good springs and they will last a lifetime. A cheap spring will last a lifetime, too. That lifetime will just be shortened.[/QUOTE

Midway USA has AR-Stoner (30-Round) stainless steel mag springs for $3 ea. and they also have 3 packs of Wolff springs for $17. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The stainless steel CProducts mags have a proprietary Magpul follower due to the thicker mag walls. Your followers could be these, which will not be 100% if used in aluminum mag bodies.

Send your pics to CProducts and see what they say. They are good people.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
The stainless steel CProducts mags have a proprietary Magpul follower due to the thicker mag walls. Your followers could be these, which will not be 100% if used in aluminum mag bodies.

Send your pics to CProducts and see what they say. They are good people.
That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Thanks. The things is, since I bought these aluminum mags used, I'm not sure that the followers are MagPul. They look a lot like them, but the placement of the "556" on the followers is different from the Pmag followers that I have. Hmmm......I might just buy some stainless steel springs at the next gun show and try'em out.

Thanks.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Brownells has the whole "Ranger Kit" which includes the correct Magpul follower for aluminum mag bodies and the rubber pull. They also have the chrome silicon springs, which are the best avail.