Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   Anti-Tilt Followers (CProducts)??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/anti-tilt-followers-cproducts-17514/)

ARnoob 08-30-2009 06:02 PM

Anti-Tilt Followers (CProducts)???

4 Attachment(s)
I bought 3 used Kay industries 30 rd. AR mags. They are aluminum, and in good shape. They have what I believe to be CProducts Anti-Tilt Followers in them. The followers are orange and look just like Magpul anti-tilt followers, except they don't have the MP logo. They have 556 in small numbers on the end of the follower (front of the mag). I have a CProducts magazine with a gray anti-tilt follower that also says 556 in larger numbers, but in the middle of the follower. The CProducts magazine with a gray anti-tilt follower works fine. However, ALL THREE Kay industries mags with the orange followers caused a FTF (failure to feed) after exactly three rounds! The followers looks pretty much identical to the CProducts 556 follower. Do any of you have any experience with these orange smaller font 556 followers? Should I just get some Magpul followers and swap them out? Could it be the springs? Thanks for your help. I've posted some pics for comparison. The CProducts 556 follower in the pic is also orange, but mine is gray.

robocop10mm 08-31-2009 09:17 PM

Take off the floor plates and check the springs. A general rule of thumb is to have at least 3 full coils of free length beyond the mag body length. If you have bad springs, that could be the problem. While you are at it, make sure the followers move smoothly and freely throughout. Any small dings (not noticeable from the outside) can cause feeding problems.

You got these mags used? Maybe someone unloaded their problem mags on you.

ARnoob 09-01-2009 09:25 PM

Thanks Robo. I had a feeling that it's the springs. My brother seemed to think so as well. I need to take them apart. The springs looked old and almost rusty. Is it worth it to buy and install new springs, or just get new mags for about $9 each?

Thanks!

robocop10mm 09-01-2009 10:58 PM

$9 mags are going to have 50 cent springs. If the bodies are good, just get good springs and they will last a lifetime. A cheap spring will last a lifetime, too. That lifetime will just be shortened.

ARnoob 09-10-2009 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=robocop10mm;154154]$9 mags are going to have 50 cent springs. If the bodies are good, just get good springs and they will last a lifetime. A cheap spring will last a lifetime, too. That lifetime will just be shortened.[/QUOTE

Midway USA has AR-Stoner (30-Round) stainless steel mag springs for $3 ea. and they also have 3 packs of Wolff springs for $17. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks. :)

M14sRock 09-11-2009 04:53 AM

The stainless steel CProducts mags have a proprietary Magpul follower due to the thicker mag walls. Your followers could be these, which will not be 100% if used in aluminum mag bodies.

Send your pics to CProducts and see what they say. They are good people.

ARnoob 09-11-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 158070)
The stainless steel CProducts mags have a proprietary Magpul follower due to the thicker mag walls. Your followers could be these, which will not be 100% if used in aluminum mag bodies.

Send your pics to CProducts and see what they say. They are good people.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Thanks. The things is, since I bought these aluminum mags used, I'm not sure that the followers are MagPul. They look a lot like them, but the placement of the "556" on the followers is different from the Pmag followers that I have. Hmmm......I might just buy some stainless steel springs at the next gun show and try'em out.

Thanks.

M14sRock 09-12-2009 02:06 AM

Brownells has the whole "Ranger Kit" which includes the correct Magpul follower for aluminum mag bodies and the rubber pull. They also have the chrome silicon springs, which are the best avail.