4100 Lumen Flashlight - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > 4100 Lumen Flashlight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Well if you have one of these.

Portable Blue Laser from Wicked Lasers - Spyder III Pro Arctic Series

You probably would have to have this 4100 lumens Tourch flashlight to go with it.
Those of us who fly get a very uneasy feeling when we see one of those.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Those of us who fly get a very uneasy feeling when we see one of those.
WHY?

it is just an over powered little flash light.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
WHY?

it is just an over powered little flash light.
There have been many instances of people using handheld lasers to paint aircraft. It's a fairly significant problem in aviation. Many pilots have had their eyes injured by them. Flying at night your pupils are wide open then the cockpit lights up like a Christmas tree. Very bad mojo.

Most of the instances are people just being stupid. Some have been malicious.

As far as I know, no one crashed yet due to one. But several pilots have had their medical certificates suspended because of them. And that's just from the low power crap.

The newer lasers like this, have the capability of blinding a flight crew, crashing an airplane, and never leaving any trace of what went wrong.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #14

I have no idea what I'd do with it, but i want that lazer and flashlight. Probably get into lots of trouble.

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 10-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #15

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

When they sell that laser they offer a pair of protective glasses to keep users eyes somewhat safe. A direct shot to the eye even with the glasses is bad juju. 1 watt of 485nm or so lased light will permanently blind. It's not only the intensity but the frequency of the light that will get you.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #16

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
The newer lasers like this, have the capability of blinding a flight crew, crashing an airplane, and never leaving any trace of what went wrong.
Not to hijack the thread, but of course there would be a record of the pilots' voices yelling, "Oh my eyes, what was that flash of light? I think I just got blinded by a laser!!!"

And to get BOTH pilots? Highly unlikely. But I still agree that this is very dangerous stuff. I generally don't like the gov't, though, telling me what I can and cannot buy. I suppose explosives are an exception...

Oh, and cheeseburgers. The gov't should limit burgers!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but of course there would be a record of the pilots' voices yelling, "Oh my eyes, what was that flash of light? I think I just got blinded by a laser!!!"

And to get BOTH pilots? Highly unlikely. But I still agree that this is very dangerous stuff. I generally don't like the gov't, though, telling me what I can and cannot buy. I suppose explosives are an exception...
When I saw that they were selling a 1 watt Class IV laser for $200.00, I knew that it would be banned in a very short time. Up until that time the strongest laser that they sold was 200mW, and it cost $2000.00. The cost kept it out of the hands of undesirables. It is too dangerous for untrained people to use. If you shine it in a room and a reflective surface shines the light back into your eye, even with laser glasses, you are blind.
I will have one. I may demonstrate in a controlled environment for others, but the liability of handing it to someone is far too great. One mistake and you are blind, intentional or not.

Now with that said, next year they are planning on selling a 100watt laser, for the same amount of money. I am sure the misuse of the 1 watt will doom the 100 watt even before it is marketed. Too bad because in the right hands they could be quite useful.

After the initial sales pitch, they (Wicked Lasers) realized that a 1 watt laser is too dangerous. To make it safer, they ship it with a greatly diffused colminator lens. In addition there is now a complex power up sequence (an electronic combination lock) that prevents it from reaching full power. It only starts in a "practice mode" that is a low power, and not tightly focused. There are instructions on how to change the focus, and the power, but someone will not be able to pick one up and flip a switch and have a tightly focused 1 watt output.

Is it dangerous? Probably. But the beam is visible, and will always point back to the source. I doubt anyone could use it dangerously and not get found, and the jail time would be significant. Any misuse would probably constitute a Felony.

The one that I ordered has been at US Customs since 10/4. I am curious to see how many make it to their owners. Judging by the published serial numbers, 20,000 have been ordered. I predict an epidemic of blindness from the untrained use of these devices.

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-22-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #18

is that one better or Surefire hellfighter better ? God damn only $240. Surefire hellfight cost 5k hmm... Which one is better ?
hmm i might get one. This is not safe to store it with battery in... But it looks fun.