Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Firearm Accessories & Gear (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/)
-   -   20 MM ammo can vs house fire (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/20-mm-ammo-can-vs-house-fire-79262/)

John_Deer 12-24-2012 01:56 AM

20 MM ammo can vs house fire
 
I know any ammo stored in a 20 MM ammo can will be lost during a house fire. My question is will the 20 mm ammo can prevent brass and other shrapnel for hitting me or a fireman in the event the ammo does explode?

If someone finds a good link (.edu, gov) stating the can will work please paste it in this thread.

bluez 12-24-2012 01:58 AM

Ammo doesnt really explode the way we think it does in a fire (unles is chambered ina fire arm).
it fizzles out of step and the bullet has only a very small fraction of its momentum.

.357 Magnum will get stopped by a thick sheet of cardboard or the a thick plastic comtainer.
Here is a clip
http://www.freshalloy.com/showthread.php/173357-If-your-ammo-supply-catches-fire


....

lbwar15 12-24-2012 02:02 AM

As a former firefighter I can say ammo is nothing to worry about in a fire. Don't let tv trick you.

JonM 12-24-2012 02:21 AM

if your fighting a fire ammo isnt the issue unless there is 50bmg or blackpowder involved. 50bmg cartridges have enough strength in the brass and enough mass in the bullet and enough friction between bullet and case to make it a mini-bomb. and blackpowder is just plain old fashioned explosive

i dont store my bp near the rest of anything i care about.

hmh 12-24-2012 02:23 AM

Nssf has a youtube channel and several months ago they had a video made for firefighters about ammo. It is a non issue.

sirhc 12-24-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 1063814)
As a former firefighter I can say ammo is nothing to worry about in a fire. Don't let tv trick you.

It may be nothing to worry about, but the sound of it going off was enough to make you weak in the knees.
The same with the tires during a car fire. They would get me everytime.

John_Deer 12-24-2012 03:18 AM

At least the ammo will be in one place well in two places. I will have a little piece of mind knowing the ammo is tucked away in a can.

ResidentialPyro 12-24-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluez (Post 1063811)
Ammo doesnt really explode the way we think it does in a fire (unles is chambered ina fire arm).
it fizzles out of step and the bullet has only a very small fraction of its momentum.

.357 Magnum will get stopped by a thick sheet of cardboard or the a thick plastic comtainer.
Here is a clip
http://www.freshalloy.com/showthread.php/173357-If-your-ammo-supply-catches-fire

All that ammo going up in flames, being crushed, or shot at almost brought tears to my eyes.

lbwar15 12-24-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirhc

It may be nothing to worry about, but the sound of it going off was enough to make you weak in the knees.
The same with the tires during a car fire. They would get me everytime.

I've only herd ammo going off 1 time. And that was after we had the fire under control and already took of our SCBA's. I guess because I was focused on other things.

As far as car fires. The tires would make everyone run for cover. It is easily mistaken for bumpers and shocks blowing off. Now that's some violent crap.

hmh 12-24-2012 06:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Watch this it is very eye opening on the volatility of ammo.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.