1911 holster
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Firearm Accessories & Gear > 1911 holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 1911 holster

I am looking for a holster or my 1911. I am looking for a nice leather one to carry when I am on trail. I will not be using this for concealment. I was originally looking at the Blackhawk pancake. However my experience with concelament holsters is you lose the ease of draw when you place the holster so close and high on your waist.

Do you guys have any advice or suggestions? Oh and it needs to have an open muzzle for when I get a 460 conversion...

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Do you want a flap holster? Triple K makes one. It's inexpensive enough so that if it gets beat up it won't bother you and it will protect the pistol quite well. http://www.cowboyneeds.com/017.html

I've had several Triple K holsters and they're pretty good. I have a "Barrio" for my 1911 and had the Lightning in several sizes for other handguns.

I really like Bianchi for revolver holsters and Galco and DeSantis are all good and well priced. El Paso Saddlery is worth a look as well: http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-15-huntingfield.aspx

If you didn't require the open end, it would give you more choices.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-10-2010 at 05:48 AM.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

How about a nice tactical thigh holster with an open muzzle. It would be comfortable, and have easy access to weapon. I have seen them in leather, but I do not know the brand. I have a BlackHawk CQC Tactical SERPA Holster, I use in some competition shoots and open carry, and I love it.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have a Bianchi UM84 Military holster that would work well. Take a look at fleabay and Amazon.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
How about a nice tactical thigh holster with an open muzzle. It would be comfortable, and have easy access to weapon. I have seen them in leather, but I do not know the brand. I have a BlackHawk CQC Tactical SERPA Holster, I use in some competition shoots and open carry, and I love it.

Jack
I love thigh rigs and am very comfortable with them, but whenever I see one on someone who is not in a position to where they "need" it, I automatically think...mall ninja.

CA357, Those Triple K holsters are nice. Unless something else jumps out at me, I am going with one of those.

Thanks guys
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-10-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I love thigh rigs and am very comfortable with them, but whenever I see one on someone who is not in a position to where they "need" it, I automatically think...mall ninja.
Ninja please!!

Now wait a second....please clarify "needed" position.

I took "on the trail" to mean as in the field, hunting, hiking, etc. Are you talking about tracking bi-pedal animals?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here's a pic of the Bianchi UM84:

Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #8

That's a nice quality, lightweight, ballistic nylon holster there Don. Had one similar to that back in the military. I guess he really wanted a leather holster though.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have one and I like it a bunch.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #10

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Ninja please!!

Now wait a second....please clarify "needed" position.
I meant when I see these guys at the range walking around in the rifle bay with a thigh rig and a Glock with no mag... I am referring to the guys who buy things solely because it said "tactical" somewhere in the description

"Needed" to me means a person who is on an operation/call where they are wearing equipment that does not allow for a belt mounted holster, therefore need a thigh rig...I.E. wearing a raid vest and it's too bulky to allow for a holster in the conventional location. Or someone who genuinely has a viable reason for using one. Mounted position, sitting a lot, etc. No insult to anyone who uses one if you have a reason. Maybe in this case I might have a good reason. There are just so many mall ninjas out there, I get embarrassed wearing black boots to the range. I always seem to forget if I need something to use it and not worry about the appearance of maybe being a Walmart Commando....lol

Quote:
I took "on the trail" to mean as in the field, hunting, hiking, etc. Are you talking about tracking bi-pedal animals?

Jack
You are totally correct. I meant on the trail hunting animals or on horseback.

Thanks
Darin
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-10-2010 at 10:40 PM.