From zero 1911's to ....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > From zero 1911's to ....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default From zero 1911's to ....

This one. A Kimber CDP II.

I went to the store today, looking for 9mm ammo and walked out with this.

To say I'm a little overwhelmed would be an understatement. But I sure is happy.

My apologies for the bad crackberry photos. I will try to take some descent photos soon. I think this gun really deserves it.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. —Thomas Jefferson

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Woot!!! Great snag, welcome to the 1911 world from another Kimber fan.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Nice...hope you didn't forget the ammo. You'll have to go back...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Congrats! Nice one to start out with as your very first and no doubt, not your last, 1911 addiction.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys! Uh, I have a couple of questions...

The manual says to field strip and clean it first. I'm guessing this is a good idea?

How much should I spend on ammo? Should I only use the good stuff or can I buy some from wally mart?

What is the small hole in the trigger for? I didn't notice it at the store. Seems kind of out of place.
EDIT: I really set myself up for ridicule here. Go ahead; do your worst.

Yeah, I've got to go back there for ammo. I bought a box of Hornady Critical Defense bullets but I won't be using them unless it's critical.
EDIT: OH, the 9mm ammo. I got sidetracked on that. Maybe tomorrow.

Lucky for me the gun store is also a range. I got a membership there today as well.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Last edited by bleak23; 03-03-2011 at 05:27 AM.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:43 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's the trigger...

Old 03-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Field strip it and clean and lube it before you shoot it. It won't need much of a cleaning.

My suggestion is to take it to the shop when you go back to buy ammunition and have someone there demonstrate the proper takedown & reassembly procedure. It's quite simple, but can seem daunting at first. If you learn how to do it properly, you will avoid the dreaded "Idiot Scratch".

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The hole in the face of the hammer is for an Allen wrench to adjust trigger overtravel and take-up.

The slots are there to lighten the weight of the trigger. Frankly, I think they were possibly originally done for that, but now I think they're mostly for looking cool.

As far as ammunition for breaking it in, Winchester White Box, American Eagle, Fiocchi, Blazer or Blazer Brass, Magtech will all work. Just use 230gr. FMJ (ball) ammunition for the break in process.

1911's seem have a lore and legend about them and that's part of the attraction. Don't be intimidated. Just learn your pistol and treat it right and it will outlast you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, thanks for that info CA.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Other 230gr. FMJ ammo will work, those are just some that my tired brain could think of right now.