Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > wtb 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default wtb 1911

I've decided that my next purchase is to be a 1911, but i'm not sure which one to get, and what has more bang for the buck. It's going to be a carry, a plinker a home defense and a safe queen as well. Now I plan on setting about 1500 aside for this buy. I will have to budget about 75 bucks a paycheck till I reach this goal. So who has thought's for a good one in that price range that will fit my needs? If you reply thank you for playing along and entertaining my habit. I also thank you for the input.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Fifteen hundred bucks will buy you a pretty darn nice 1911 and give you some good choices. Do your homework and narrow your selections down a bit. Then, let us know what you're thinking and we can help you better.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

For that much I would get a Dan Wesson.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You might take a close look at the Springfield Loaded and have a little $ left over for ammo and/or a holster.

GalleryofGuns.com - Gun Genie

And goju is right about Dan Wesson, but the one I would want, the Valor, is outside of your budget....and mine!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I agree with possibly buying a good qualiy at a lower price and maybe get some ammo or some work done. For instance, you can get a Springer Loaded for less than $900, but to make it carry ready you might want to have the rear sight changed. Mine came with a adjustable rear sight which might get caught up on clothing or such. Maybe have the rear of the grip bobbed, that kind of stuff.

013.jpg  

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What is the 11 gear system on the springfield? I'm thinking of going to a medium or even a compact model. Only because if I do carry it I don't want to look like I have a growth on my side lol

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 05-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
You might take a close look at the Springfield Loaded and have a little $ left over for ammo and/or a holster.

GalleryofGuns.com - Gun Genie

And goju is right about Dan Wesson, but the one I would want, the Valor, is outside of your budget....and mine!
I had a few Valor's show up unexpected. I mentioned that they were gone within an hour. Some moron on another forum was trying to tell me, Yup, I seen one just the other day for around $1,300. I thought, You were probably looking at a Bobtail. I know what my cost is it is over $1,500 and I don't expect to see any more coming my way this year.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #8

The problem in your question is that most replies will be of someone's favorite, a kindof sharing the misery. Size of the gun will depend upon your size (I carry a full size, 5" S&W, concealed). I hear very good things about Smith's PD model, 4.25" bbl - and no, I do not own one. While Springfield does have a good rep, I do not like the idea of a two piece barrel. If you have the time before making a purchase, start picking up gun magazines and read what the hacks have to say.

Last edited by SHAMUSPI; 05-29-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMUSPI View Post
The problem in your question is that most replies will be of someone's favorite, a kindof sharing the misery. Size of the gun will depend upon your size (I carry a full size, 5" S&W, concealed). I hear very good things about Smith's PD model, 4.25" bbl - and no, I do not own one. While Springfield does have a good rep, I do not like the idea of a two piece barrel. If you have the time before making a purchase, start picking up gun magazines and read what the hacks have to say.
Good advice, but what 2 piece barrel? I know not of what you speak in regards to the Springfield.

Radio, maybe an officer's model Colt. Maybe a compact Kimber? Lots of models from which to choose. Had I the money when I got my Springer, I would have leaned toward a Colt Ghost Talo...just ask Dzscubie.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #10

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Two-piece barrel thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/two-piece-barrels-26805/#post280736