Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > would like better sights(sugestions)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default would like better sights(sugestions)

I just recently bought a RIA 1911 A1. I use to have a nice stainless Springfield, sold it (dummy)So anyway I would like to have better sights than the combat ones that it came with. This my CCW. I know kinda big and harder to carry than most but I like it and just dont have anything else right now.I saw a decked out 1911 that the gunsmith at Gander Mnt had put new sights on.It sure looked good. I would like adjustable rear sight and a better front sight. The fiber optic looked really nice on the one I saw. What would you sugest that wont cost a lot?
Thanks
Daryl

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Welcome In! Daryl.

I have the same problem with a different gun Colt sieries 80 MK 4. Welcome to the forum. By the way, I live just NW of you in McCordsville (46055)

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-29-2009, 03:06 AM   #3

Default Mccordsville

Thats just a rocks throw away, maybe 10 to 15 min.I would like to get the sights replaced on this pistol and then I sure would like to pick up a couple more.I just had to sell a few things due to finances but Im starting a new job next week with 100% paid medical and dental. That is going to save us about $200 a month just on insurance. Between that and higher pay and more ot and commissions I may be able to get some priorities taken care of then pick up a couple toys.Its nice to see someone who lives so close on the same forum.
Daryl PM: sent

Old 03-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If it's to be a ccw pistol, you may want to rethink the adjustable sights. They may snag on something at the wrong time.

Think smooth & rounded shapes.

Wilson Combat makes a low profile non snag rear sight that is excellent and not very costly.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 AM   #5

Default Sights

Thanks, I didnt really think of that. The factory sights are so small. The front blade is real shoprt and the notch in the rear sight is very narrow. Its kind of hard to get a quick sight / target picture.
Daryl

Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

novaksights: Genuine Novak Sights

I like the Bar-Dot night sight. They don't list your RIA, so you might want to contact them to see about fitting.

There are several other companies out there making sights, and I would consider CA357's suggestion about fixed, lo-mount combat sights for a carry gun.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 AM   #7

Spend the $$$ on a smaller CCW gun. Add the sights later when you have something that's not a beast to carry around.

(I'm still looking for a decent carry gun, and have about two dozen so far. You name it, I've owned it.)

Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #8

Default Ccw

I guess thats what I really need to do. Maybe have some nice sights onstalled on the RIA but find a small carry gun.How do you guys feel about a 38special for ccw/defense? Maybe a 357 would be better. I had a Taurus short barrel ported 357 once that was amazing how I could shoot that gun even out to 50 yards. I could hardly belive how it shot.
Daryl