Would appreciate some advice please. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Would appreciate some advice please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Don't put too much faith in getting a 1911 that runs 100% out of the box. I have owned three that all required tweaking to function properly. Even then I would never fully trust one as a defensive pistol when so many better options exist today.

Not knocking the platform as I enjoy shooting them but I have always regarded them as a range toy. Colt, Wilson Combat, Springfield Armory are all good brands to look into. If somebody gave me a free Kimber I'd sell it to my worst enemy the same day. YMMV

Old 10-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #12

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbriar View Post
Thank you for the replies,i have been reading on both the Colt and Kimber,both look to be great choices.Now finding them is the issue ,looked around several gun shops around the vicinity however i had no luck.
Kimber really shouldn't be too much of a problem to find right now; Colt might be another story.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I hear a lot of stories about 1911's not running well out of the box.

I have never experienced this phenomenon.

Now, my first 1911 was the cheap Kimber, the custom target II.

I had my gunsmith receive the pistol and tune the trigger before I took delivery. He also got me 2 Wilson 47D mags. It ran like a champ from day one and I have never had a problem.

I got two more Kimbers' - A Raptor II and their .22LR 1911 variant.

The .22 has a problem with the second round coming out of the mag. It's the magazine. I have another mag I purchased after market and it runs fine. Boo on Kimber for giving me a weak magazine.

I have three Nighthawks. Nighthawk will sell you as many magazines as you want, that they approve for their pistols.

I took my GRP thru Valhalla's indoor pistol course. I was required to empty a full magazine as fast as I could ( under 2 seconds for 8 rounds ) into targets.

The weapon performed flawlessly and this was with ammo that has never been shot by the weapon before.

The 1911, in my mind, has a natural pointability and a reliability that I find to be perfect in design, fit and function.

I hope you find one that suits your needs.

JD

Old 10-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've probably owned 2 dozen different 1911s in the past several years from Rock Island, Kimber, Springfield, Para Ordnance, Colt, Dan Wesson, and S&W. I have yet to own one that didn't operate as it should - same as JD. Now, I never use cheap mags and I never use factory mags either.

I have a couple dozen Wilsons and Chip McCormicks that I use in all of mine without a glitch...

Old 10-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #15

I will post pics as soon as i take my baby home!!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In the 1st place, if I have a new firearm-any firearm, and it repeatedly malfunctions, it goes straight back to the factory. I don't tweak them unless the gun was acquired used and thus with no factory warranty. In the second place, I've honestly never gotten ahold of any new quality 1911s that was prone to malfunction out of box. You're certainly welcome to your opinion BUT you need to clarify it AS YOUR OPINION when you state there's "better options out there for defense".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
Don't put too much faith in getting a 1911 that runs 100% out of the box. I have owned three that all required tweaking to function properly. Even then I would never fully trust one as a defensive pistol when so many better options exist today.

Not knocking the platform as I enjoy shooting them but I have always regarded them as a range toy. Colt, Wilson Combat, Springfield Armory are all good brands to look into. If somebody gave me a free Kimber I'd sell it to my worst enemy the same day. YMMV

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:49 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 stalkingbear

Old 10-28-2009, 03:10 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
In the 1st place, if I have a new firearm-any firearm, and it repeatedly malfunctions, it goes straight back to the factory. I don't tweak them unless the gun was acquired used and thus with no factory warranty. In the second place, I've honestly never gotten ahold of any new quality 1911s that was prone to malfunction out of box. You're certainly welcome to your opinion BUT you need to clarify it AS YOUR OPINION when you state there's "better options out there for defense".
Not my opinion my experience. I shoot IDPA and 1911's are by far the most common platform to have failures on course. I'm not talking about cheap RIAs here but everything from high dollar Nighthawks and Les Baers to box stock Colts.

As far as there being better options out there for a defensive pistol there are. Countless makers offer pistols with higher capacity, lower weight and designs that better lend themselves to concealed carry. The only opinion I have here is that the only reason people still cling to this platform is out of nostalgia. Sure they are great guns to shoot with when they run and I'm willing to admit I shoot my Colt Series 70 better than any other pistol I have ever owned. I don't however fully trust it when the chips are down. In the end its an obsolete design like every other weapon that it shared a battle field with that has since been replaced at least twice now.

Further more no quality gun should have to be sent back to the factory for repair when purchased new and properly taken care of barring ammo failures (KBs and such).

Old 10-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #19

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Before I took the 1911 plunge, I would read stuff like this and cringe. I have 4 now and have owned well over a dozen different 1911 models in the past few years. Currently I have a Kimber, Colt, and 2 Springers and all of them are reliable. The only one I owned that was the least bit picky was a Dan Wesson Pointman that really didn't like to be dirty and was extremely tight. After I got 500 or so rounds thru it, it settled in and became boringly reliable.

I don't doubt BM's experience but I can tell you from my experience that most 1911s run just fine out of the box. Now I caveat that except for my Colt I shoot nothing but the FMJ ammo this platform was designed for and I do not use cheap and/or factory mags.

I've put probably 5000 rounds thru my 1st Gen Kimber Gold Match in the past 2 years and it has never malfunctioned. This gun was 10 years old when I got it so I have no idea what the total round count is. This is my main competition gun and gets fired rapidly and a lot of rounds in each session...

Old 10-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
Not my opinion my experience. I shoot IDPA and 1911's are by far the most common platform to have failures on course. I'm not talking about cheap RIAs here but everything from high dollar Nighthawks and Les Baers to box stock Colts.
Bullshi'ite. Plain and simple. I know several Kimber, Baer and Nighthawk owners and I have yet to meet someone and have them tell me the weapon has failed them. I don't know of a single FTF in the group of 8 Nighthawks' that shoot near me. My three have been flawless.

Show some real pictures of these failures. Show the range cards that indicate the shooter could not continue because the weapon failed.

Or retract the statement/change it to your opinion and not a known fact.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 10-28-2009 at 04:29 PM.