Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Is This Worth the Asking Price? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/worth-asking-price-37993/)

Major Kusanagi 02-05-2011 09:15 PM

Is This Worth the Asking Price?

Hey gang, I have finally decided to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and purchase my very first 1911. After doing a lot of research I have decided to set my sights on a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. I ended up finding a stainless steel model at a particular gun store recently and got a feel for the pistol. Other than the thick wood grips on it, I completely love the weight, balance, and feel of the pistol in my hands. I asked one of the clerks if they could order one that had a parkerized finish, and found out that their distributor does in fact have a few in stock. However, here is where I have run into a problem: the asking price for it NIB is $649. Add in the sales tax and it would be a little over $700. I went to other gun stores in the area and found out that I could not get a better or worse price estimate as most if not all their distributors at each store are currently out of stock with the pistol, and have been so for quite some time. I know that the typical estimated value of a brand new Springfield Mil-Spec parkerized is about $610, but I am not sure if it is worth the extra in asking price. What do you guys think, especially the ones who own Springfields. Do you guys think that the $649 price is a fair price, or do you think I can do better? Does anybody have an suggestions on where else to look? Any and all advice on the matter would much appreciated. :)

NGIB 02-05-2011 09:32 PM

Without knowing where you are it's tough to say if that's a fair price. A good benchmark is Bud's and their asking $653 shipped for a Stainless Mil-Spec.

Springfield MILSPEC 5" 45SS Package $653.00 SHIPS FREE

I have 2 of them and they are great starter 1911s...

38SuperFan 02-05-2011 10:22 PM

It seems a little high, you can probably pick up a Springfield Range Officer for about $700.

doose 02-06-2011 04:23 AM

Good luck in your purchase.

CA357 02-06-2011 04:29 AM

That sounds like a decent deal. The MilSpec was my first 1911 and it was a great pistol. Mine was the parkerized model. Stainless is nice, it just depends on which you prefer.

General_lee 02-06-2011 11:53 AM

That sounds about right, Springfields are well worth the money.
If you check online at places like Bud's Gun Shop, keep in mind that if you order the gun online, it must be shipped to an FFL and they will have their own transfer fee.

Major Kusanagi 02-11-2011 09:57 PM

I wanted to first apologize for not getting back to your guy's responses on here. Unfortunately, I have been very busy these past two weeks. I also wanted to thank everybody who posted their thoughts on the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 437869)
Without knowing where you are it's tough to say if that's a fair price. A good benchmark is Bud's and their asking $653 shipped for a Stainless Mil-Spec.

Springfield MILSPEC 5" 45SS Package $653.00 SHIPS FREE

I have 2 of them and they are great starter 1911s...

I live in Missouri, and so far I havenít found the pistol any cheaper than the price I mentioned. I think I might try out a couple of more gun stores in the area, but if I cannot find a cheaper price then I might look into online prices. I noticed that Budís Gun Shop has the parkerized edition for $575, but it has to be reserved as it is currently out of stock. I have never done business with Budís before, and to be honest I am a little trepidatious in doing so. Does Budís honor their online reserve price? Do they charge sales tax? What is the average shipping rate? If they seem like a good option to go with, I might pursue it if all else fails with the other guns stores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 38SuperFan (Post 437895)
It seems a little high, you can probably pick up a Springfield Range Officer for about $700.

I thought about going with the Springfield Range Officer, but none of the stores that I found in my area carry it. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 438200)
That sounds like a decent deal. The MilSpec was my first 1911 and it was a great pistol. Mine was the parkerized model. Stainless is nice, it just depends on which you prefer.

I liked the bushed stainless steel finish on the Mil-Spec that I checked out, but I like my guns to be typically blued, parkerized, etc. Something about that dark grey finish is just beautiful IMHO. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_lee (Post 438322)
That sounds about right, Springfields are well worth the money.
If you check online at places like Bud's Gun Shop, keep in mind that if you order the gun online, it must be shipped to an FFL and they will have their own transfer fee.

There are at least five gun stores I found that are on file with Budís in my area, and one of them only charges a $10 transfer fee as opposed to the others which range between $20-$35. The best part about it is that the guy used to be a family friend and neighbor in my neighborhood. So if I decide to go with Budís, I think I have plenty of options to choose from when it comes to the FFL.

Thanks again on your guy's input on the price. I will definitely try to keep you guys up to date on any new developments that may arise on my potential future purchase. :)

CA357 02-11-2011 11:12 PM

Thanks for the update. Please keep us in the loop.

38SuperFan 02-12-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

I live in Missouri, and so far I haven’t found the pistol any cheaper than the price I mentioned. I think I might try out a couple of more gun stores in the area, but if I cannot find a cheaper price then I might look into online prices. I noticed that Bud’s Gun Shop has the parkerized edition for $575, but it has to be reserved as it is currently out of stock. I have never done business with Bud’s before, and to be honest I am a little trepidatious in doing so. Does Bud’s honor their online reserve price? Do they charge sales tax? What is the average shipping rate? If they seem like a good option to go with, I might pursue it if all else fails with the other guns stores.

I've never dealt with Buds, but I wouldn't hesitate to if they had something I wanted, they have a great reputation. Being that Buds is in KY and you are in MO there will be no tax. FFLs can ship to other FFLs via US Mail, so shipping shouldn't be over $30. You may want to contact them.

Quote:

I thought about going with the Springfield Range Officer, but none of the stores that I found in my area carry it.
That's why I love GunBroker, my local shops never have anything good, most of the stuff I buy nowadays is from GB.

Springfield Range Officer 5IN 45 ACP NEW 1911 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Here's an RO for $739, the seller has over completed over 7000 transactions, so it's a pretty safe bet to deal with someone like that. Nothing wrong with the Mil-Spec though. As mentioned, all you need is a local FFL who will do the transfer, and it sounds like you got that. :)

marshall 02-12-2011 06:28 AM

i want one in a 9mm. :( can't seem to find a good price