Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   WIP Tapping Girsan for standard grips (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/wip-tapping-girsan-standard-grips-87684/)

Kryptoglow 03-28-2013 06:01 PM

WIP Tapping Girsan for standard grips

10 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,
I decided that I couldn't stand having odd ball bushings in my Girsan MC1911S. I could easliy have just made the grip screw holes larger but I'm hard headed. I purchased a .236X60 tap from Midway and some bushings and screws from that online auction site.
First I must say that this is not required and there is a chance you could mess up your 1911 and have a skeleton frame... I was fortunate and it turned out great.
First, I made sure the frame was level by adding a shim on the bottom. In my case I just used an izula kydex sheath. I removed the bushings and drilled the holes out with a 7/32" metal drill bit trying to keep the drill in a near perfect square position. It might also be smart to put something in the clip area to keep from busting through the hole and marring the other side. Once the holes were done and my heart beat returned to normal, I used the tap to re-thread the holes. I used the low position on the drill and went slowly. Make sure the bit is in tight because reversing it out can break the bit free from the chuck if loose...
Next, I screwed all the bushings in place for test fit. I think later on I may remove the bushings and blue the threads with perma blue and a q-tip for some rust inhibitor. Also, I may ad some blue lock-tite.
After all this I checked to see if my grips fit and fortunately they did.

PROBLEM SOLVED

danf_fl 03-28-2013 06:10 PM

Great post! Thanks!

StainlessSteel215 03-28-2013 06:37 PM

Duuuuuuuude, great job!!

I went with Plan B and CAREFULLY dremeled my wood grips to accommodate the Girsan screws & mounts

Olympus 03-28-2013 06:52 PM

That's some good work. Sucks that the bushings are not within specs.

Kryptoglow 03-28-2013 07:53 PM

Thanks guys. I hope this helps someone. By the way, if someone decides to do this mod then contact me for the .236X60 tap. I would let it go shipped for 15.00 shipped. It could go from person to person and get cheaper each time:)

new_girsan_1911 03-28-2013 08:05 PM

So you said this isnt required? What do you mean by that? Are you saying you could just run the new tap through the old style bushing and cut out the old bushings threads? Just curious.

limbkiller 03-28-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryptoglow (Post 1194408)
Thanks guys. I hope this helps someone. By the way, if someone decides to do this mod then contact me for the .236X60 tap. I would let it go shipped for 15.00 shipped. It could go from person to person and get cheaper each time:)

I'll take it. PM sent.

Kryptoglow 03-28-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_girsan_1911 (Post 1194419)
So you said this isnt required? What do you mean by that? Are you saying you could just run the new tap through the old style bushing and cut out the old bushings threads? Just curious.

No, just saying that the mod is not really worth the risk unless the owner has some experience with tools and such. I'd hate to see someone ruin their gun by breaking a bit/tap off in the bushing hole, wollering the hole...
It's easy enough to resize a set of grips for your girsan. I just wanted it as it should have been done at the factory.

Kryptoglow 03-28-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limbkiller (Post 1194577)
I'll take it. PM sent.

OK, PM sent