Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Wilson vs Kimber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Wilson Combat by far, i wouldnt pay $500 for a kimber

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 06-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
Wilson Combat by far, i wouldnt pay $500 for a kimber
U have a bad experience?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #13

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoprepper

U have a bad experience?
Ive had first hand experience with 4 different kimbers in the past 10 years. Every single one of them had constant FTFs. The last one that i shot was about 6 months ago and it would feed HPs just fine but would not feed fmj ammo for the life of it. Ive called kimber customer service twice for two of my friends and i got the same run around both times.with one kimber my friend had about 150rds through it when i called, and kimber CS told me that the gun wasnt broke in and that is to be expected. To me that isnt an acceptable reason and what i expect is,if i pay $1,000+ for a "supposed high end" gun,i expect it to function properly.

With the last kimber i shot,"the one that wouldnt feed fmj ammo", my friend let me keep it for a while to shoot it, it also had an out of tuned extractor, was constantly getting beaned in the head with brass. I called kimber CS again, i told them about the feeding issue with fmj and their answer for me was " the ammo thats being used probably wasnt good ammo" i told them that ive used a few different brands with the same results. Their response was "we're still pretty sure its the ammo". Then i told them about the extractor causing the empty brass to fling back in your face, their response was " that will fix itself once the gun is broke in"

Ive never heard the like of excuses in my life, they place the blame on everything else EXCEPT their gun. Now i certainly dont share the same experience with everyone,some people have a gun that hasnt had a single problem and are happy with them.

But due to MY experience, i wont own one.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 06-20-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoprepper View Post
U have a bad experience?
A few people have been less than thrilled with their Kimbers or the Kimber Customer Support Dept. To be fair, the people I know with Kimbers are happy with them. I think it can be safely argued (without starting a war that is) that there are any number of other good choices in the price range Kimber is competing in. My primary issues are the "500 round break-in" & the shockingly short 1 year warranty.
When you have some free time, go ahead and do a search and you will find that Kimber threads can get heated.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dam that sucks because for my birthday my parents were going to pay half for a kimber.. thats a shame the are beutiful looking guns.ill keep shopping I guess

Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #16

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If you look hard enough, you will find bad experiences with just about every brand of 1911. I don't own a Kimber but know that they produce thousands of guns a year. If they were inferior products, I would assume the company would have gone belly-up by now. You have a 1-year warranty on your Kimber if something did go wrong by chance. And if it happens after the warranty is up, any competent gunsmith could take care of anything else. 1911s are a basic for any qualified gunsmith. If you like Kimber, then I wouldn't let a few negative comments completely scare you off.

On the opposite side of the coin, I have a Ruger SR9c that I bought brand new. Go on a forum and ask about Ruger reliability and you'll be flooded with positive comments. Yet the one I bought had some serious problems right out of the box and had to be sent back for work immediately. It's really a gamble no matter what brand you buy.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

There are "deals" out there.
My wife found a used Ed Brown in the newspaper. $1800 later I was owning a Kobra carry with holsters, mag carriers, mags, and ammo.

Considering that the handgun alone is advertised as $2545 new, I think it was a good deal.
Comparing the Kobra to my CZ-Dan Wesson C-BOB, they look like they are from the same family, but there is a big difference in the assembly and tolerances.
Neither firearm is a "slacker", but there are differences.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoprepper View Post
u have a point. Is wilson the best u can get?
The point is a bit slighted.

$5,000 should not buy you a pistol of any make, it should buy you at least two!

I have shot everything on the market. Baer is a great pistol, but Les Baer hasn't touched a "for civilian" gun in years.

Same thing goes for Dave Lauck from DNLSports.

Sure they make a hands down home run pistol for a famous Pro 2A actor or former president or former general. But you are not buying one of those pistols, because they would cost $25,000 to start and be a bidding war of collectors who never intended to shoot them. :roll eyes:

Wilson Combat is a hell of a good pistol. Quality parts, excellent gun smithing and great name recognition.

Nighthawk Custom is better, in my opinion, on every front because of the passion and love the original 11 owners shared when they LEFT companies like Kimber/Colt/Springfield and yes, Wilson Combat, to FORM Nighthawk Custom in the first place.

On the other hand, I took a second hand Taurus ($400), replaced a couple of parts, tuned the trigger, coated it with NP3 and Roguard - creating a pistol that will run with anything out there. Just ask Benning.

If asked, I could do it again.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 06-21-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #19

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

This is my wilson. Its the cqb compact. I paid just over 3k out the door. I have owned kimbers in the past and they have always let me down. I am hard on my guns and shoot them often. I wanted a 1911 that i knew if i needed it, it would function flawlessly. I have been involved in a shooting with this wilson and it did the job as expected. Best $3k i ever spent.

20111014_110739-1.jpg   forumrunner_20120622_153036.jpg   forumrunner_20120622_153047.jpg   forumrunner_20120622_153123.jpg  

Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #20

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Kimber's have always been a bit polarizing - some love them, some hate them.

I have a Series 1 Kimber and for me, it is the most accurate pistol I own and has never given me any issues I and shoot quite a bit. Perhaps the newer ones have some issues, but as posted earlier, in a competitive market, if they were truly junk, then they wouldn't keep selling them for what they do.