Wilson Combat X-Tac
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Wilson Combat X-Tac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Wilson Combat X-Tac

Anyone have hands-on experience with this handgun? I'm considering ordering it in 9mm for IDPA-based fun shoots as well as bulls-eye shooting and would like some feedback.

Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #2

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've shot them and own a CQB and a Supergrade. The Wilson pistols are really self defense pistols and designed for function over accuracy. That is not to say they aren't accurate - they're very good, but not great. If you want a range pistol for IDPA and bullseye, you'd be better off with either a true custom pistol, or one of the Les Baer Special Purpose Competition Pistols.

I have a Les Baer Monolith HW with the 1.5-inch guarantee - and if you're practiced with a 1911 - you can shoot the difference between the Wilson CQB Elite and the Les Baer.

My wife shoots action pistol with an XDm 9mm and she can tell the difference between the Wilson pistols and the Les Baer.

You might also want to look into Brazos Custom as Bob can put together some amazing competition guns based on STI. If you've got the $$ look at Infinity.

If you're not set on a 1911 style gun, then I'd look at a complete competition setup XDm 5.25 from someone like Springer Precision. The one my wife shoots is as accurate as any pistol I've shot and the Springer trigger is about as good as it gets in a striker fired pistol.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 06-07-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
I've shot them and own a CQB and a Supergrade. The Wilson pistols are really self defense pistols and designed for function over accuracy. That is not to say they aren't accurate - they're very good, but not great. If you want a range pistol for IDPA and bullseye, you'd be better off with either a true custom pistol, or one of the Les Baer Special Purpose Competition Pistols.

I have a Les Baer Monolith HW with the 1.5-inch guarantee - and if you're practiced with a 1911 - you can shoot the difference between the Wilson CQB Elite and the Les Baer.

My wife shoots action pistol with an XDm 9mm and she can tell the difference between the Wilson pistols and the Les Baer.

You might also want to look into Brazos Custom as Bob can put together some amazing competition guns based on STI. If you've got the $$ look at Infinity.

If you're not set on a 1911 style gun, then I'd look at a complete competition setup XDm 5.25 from someone like Springer Precision. The one my wife shoots is as accurate as any pistol I've shot and the Springer trigger is about as good as it gets in a striker fired pistol.
Thanks for the heads up. I own the XDm 5.25 and it's a great shooter. I was just looking at the 1911 platform. I will look into Springer on my XDm as it looks like they can help with the trigger.
Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Old 06-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #4

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you really want to tweak the 5.25 - send it to Springer Precision. Have them do the competition trigger which is their kit + some additional trigger work. I'd also have them install the Dawson front sight with a larger fiber, texture the grip, and add the tungsten weight to the guide rod. The gun will still be legal with the tungsten weight as you're running the factory recoil spring guide rod.

Again, if you're looking at the 1911 platform, the easiest way to get into it would be to call CJ at 1911 Heaven for a Les Baer. He stocks more Baers than anyone (about 1,000+ guns), and actually sells about 70% of what Les Baer makes. He may have competition models in stock.

I've purchased two guns from CJ and he's a pleasure to deal with.

Brazos Custom also stocks tweaked STI's and Bob can make additional modifications in a short amount of time.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 06-08-2012 at 03:05 AM.