Wilson Combat 1911 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Wilson Combat 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2837 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbolddm View Post
Does anyone have any experience with a Wilson Combat 1911? If so would you say they are worth their price? If so, why? If not, why? Also, any considerations that a person should know that perhaps only someone experienced with these guns might know and would be worth relaying to someone looking to get one?

I've been thinking I might want to get one in 9mm. I like the look and I hear great things about them but mostly that's coming from people who have never had one themselves. I do see their magazines are often purchased for other guns and because they are considered as superior so that leads me to think this really would be a good brand and perhaps worth the high price.

Thoughts?
Is a Wilson worth the price? That depends on you, the purchaser. Much like the purchase of say a Bentley or some other high end product, the question is really: Is it worth it to YOU? Your not simply paying for an extremely well made pistol, you are paying for a higher level of customer care as well.
Of the Premium 1911s, I've only had experience with Wilson. I inherited one of the fairly early Super Grades. I called Wilson Customer service to see what they could tell me about the history of it. My Super Grade was built before they had automated records, but the CS guy was able to tell me that it shipped in Dec 1989. Nothing remarkable there. Anyway, the CS guy took down my information and took great pains to explain to me that I was now part of the Wilson Combat family and that all I needed to do was call if there were ever any problem. The pistol is essentially covered forever. When it goes to my son someday, the same applies.

I would assume that the other premium brands are similar in that regard. As I understand things, Nighthawk was founded by some former Wilson Combat employees. I would think that much of the customer care philosophy went with them.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

One thing... When asking whether it is worth it I completely understand that depends on the value to the one spending the money. But I and others too probably ask in that way because being new to buying any high end guns I have nothing to gauge against. I'm soliciting whether it would be worth it to those of you with experience and your reasons why or why not. Then I have to consider whether those reasons vs my own personal budget capabilities line up or not.

Clearly $1,000 is huge to some folks, middle of the road to others, and cheap to yet others. Taking the dollar figures out of the question perhaps it is better to ask this way...

For the percentage more that a high end gun would cost which, if any, high end guns provide in your own assessment a roughly equivalent percentage gain with regard to build quality, shooting performance, reliability, or any other factors that you deem are relevant to that decision?

At this point I suppose it's just a rhetorical question since I did get a lot of good answers on this thread.

Thanks again to all!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #23

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Wilson and a Nighthawk and my brother has a Brown. All in all, IMO, the Wilson is the best of the 3. The Wilson will feed GI mags(the Nighthawk won't), the Wilson will feed LSWC reloads(the Brown won't). Accuracy is pretty much equal across the board. The Wilson has the best trigger of the 3 IMO. Finish seems to be about equal as well. There are a few things I should mention though................
First, all three of these guns are fantastic and feel very similar to each other. They are all very well built and will likely last me(and my brother) forever.
Both the Wilson and the Nighthawk, IMO are overpriced(the Nighthawk even more so). I got the Wilson for 2100 and the Nighthawk for 1400.......had either of these been full price, I would have passed. The same may or may not go for the Brown.
Wilson has given me top notch customer service. I never sent the gun in for any repair, but I did get some new sights. I have also asked many questions to the reps, all of which were answered promptly(one via email which was answered the next day).
As for Nighthawk, I sent them 2 emails that were never answered.
I never asked Nighthawk or Brown, but Wilson was willing to answer my questions and give advice about reloading. To me, this is big. With the cost of ammo today it is reasonable to assume people will want to reload their own ammo, and I like the fact Wilson didn't give me the "use only factory ammo" line. Of course, if I'm negligent enough to blow up my gun with improper reloads, I won't expect much sympathy

Old 11-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #24

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidalforce79
I have a Wilson and a Nighthawk and my brother has a Brown. All in all, IMO, the Wilson is the best of the 3. The Wilson will feed GI mags(the Nighthawk won't), the Wilson will feed LSWC reloads(the Brown won't). Accuracy is pretty much equal across the board. The Wilson has the best trigger of the 3 IMO. Finish seems to be about equal as well. There are a few things I should mention though................
First, all three of these guns are fantastic and feel very similar to each other. They are all very well built and will likely last me(and my brother) forever.
Both the Wilson and the Nighthawk, IMO are overpriced(the Nighthawk even more so). I got the Wilson for 2100 and the Nighthawk for 1400.......had either of these been full price, I would have passed. The same may or may not go for the Brown.
Wilson has given me top notch customer service. I never sent the gun in for any repair, but I did get some new sights. I have also asked many questions to the reps, all of which were answered promptly(one via email which was answered the next day).
As for Nighthawk, I sent them 2 emails that were never answered.
I never asked Nighthawk or Brown, but Wilson was willing to answer my questions and give advice about reloading. To me, this is big. With the cost of ammo today it is reasonable to assume people will want to reload their own ammo, and I like the fact Wilson didn't give me the "use only factory ammo" line. Of course, if I'm negligent enough to blow up my gun with improper reloads, I won't expect much sympathy
One: why would you use gi mags? Get some tripps! Two: i own three nhc's and a wilson ( plus 9 other 1911's) nhc is far the cream of the crop. No questions asked.three: who did you bribe to get a nhc for 1400? Is it a grp?

Last edited by tacticalfun; 11-07-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #25

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun View Post
One: why would you use gi mags? Get some tripps! Two: i own three nhc's and a wilson ( plus 9 other 1911's) nhc is far the cream of the crop. No questions asked.three: who did you bribe to get a nhc for 1400? Is it a gmp?
Hahaha.......well, I do have some non-GI mags. My entire point was, the Wilson will feed all the mags I put into it, not whether or not I could use other mags in the Nighthawk........just a comparison type of deal. The Nighthawk is a fine pistol, no argument, but the Wilson, IMO, has the edge, mainly due to the trigger and the fact I can feed it anything(the Nighthawk has choked on a few reloads as well). It's a GRP Recon BTW, and it was somewhat used, that's why it was 1400.