Wilson Combat 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Wilson Combat 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like I might need to focus my attention on a Nighthawk. Not that any others are a bad choice but it sounds like Nighthawk has it going on.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

They are pretty hard to beat to be honest. All the features you want/need and all American made with no MIM parts and all match grade barrels. Not that a 5 inch "match grade" barrel is going to provide unbelievable better accuracy, but it's always nice to mention that they are well fit.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
When you factor in the fact that Les Baer and Ed Brown most likely haven't touched a pistol bearing their name in production in years, you have to ask yourself what are you buying? A name? Or a weapon?
It would be nice if people posted facts, not personal speculation. Les test fires all of the guns prior to shipping. Both of my Baers - a pistol and rifle - have test targets signed by Les. I also understand, from someone who has known Les for 25 years, that it is not uncommon for Les to inspect guns during production.

The "other company" that most of the smiths at Nighthawk worked for was Wilson Combat, and several of them have left Nighthawk and gone back to Wilson.

Nighthawk builds a nice gun, but there are a number of threads complaining about their customer service - or lack of. You rarely, if ever, find a thread critical of Wilson's customer service.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm glad I am on no rush to buy a high end 1911. I want to do that at some point but I have time and other things to do before spending that kind of money. When I do it I am expecting to pay between $3,000 and $4,000. I want the gun to be something I will use a lot practicing at the range and intend to keep essentially forever. Deciding on which to buy is going to be really tough. So many opinions for so many reasons and they are all over the map all depending on who I ask. The only thing that seems consistent is that most everyone seems to agree that all the manufacturers named in this thread are pretty much well made pieces that are at least somewhat if not greatly better then what you get for say $1,000 - $1,750 range. My guess is that the difference in a gun that is priced over say $4,000 just isn't going to be noticeably better than those that are at that price point. I have to think at some threshold there isn't going to be much more that can be done to a handgun to warrant an even higher price. I am guessing that threshold is probably around $3,000 - $4,000 and beyond that you are just spending more cash for little to no additional return on the investment. Again, just what I am guessing based on reading up and asking these types of questions for a while now.

Sounds like if I spent $3,000 - $4,000 on one of these manufacturer's guns I'd probably get a top of the line gun and paid about what should be expected for it.

Seems pretty much right?

Old 10-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
It would be nice if people posted facts, not personal speculation. Les test fires all of the guns prior to shipping. Both of my Baers - a pistol and rifle - have test targets signed by Les. I also understand, from someone who has known Les for 25 years, that it is not uncommon for Les to inspect guns during production.

The "other company" that most of the smiths at Nighthawk worked for was Wilson Combat, and several of them have left Nighthawk and gone back to Wilson.

Nighthawk builds a nice gun, but there are a number of threads complaining about their customer service - or lack of. You rarely, if ever, find a thread critical of Wilson's customer service.
First off, you aren't posting any sources either, so your opinion means about as much to me.

So Les Baer signs targets? *yawn* And then? I have a gunsmith that produces guns for a lot of people. I could have him sign ANY of my targets. Doesn't mean he WORKED on the gun I used to shoot the group.

Show me a thread ON THIS WEBSIGHT about Nighthawk's service! Show it to me and show me that this person bought a true Nighthawk without a middleman, that had a problem with the Nighthawk and not the middleman.

Frankly I find your post useless. You cast dispersions, you claim allegiance, and yet you provide ZERO facts, along with a limited post count where you could be challenged as you are here, so I say good day.

Les Baer, if he is TOUCHING modern production pistols, needs to publish that fact. He isn't.

Ed Brown, if he is TOUCHING modern production pistols, needs to publish that fact. He isn't.

Nighthawk was made up of guys from ALL pistol houses, including Kimber, including Colt and including Springfield.

Get your facts straight and THEN post.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 10-07-2012 at 03:14 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbolddm View Post

Sounds like if I spent $3,000 - $4,000 on one of these manufacturer's guns I'd probably get a top of the line gun and paid about what should be expected for it.

Seems pretty much right?
That amount of money is stupid for one gun. That is Dave Lauck territory to be honest.

You can get a quality GRP for half that price and have a ton of money for extra mags and ammo.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So what would you pay if you wanted one of these guns mentioned?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2894 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Quote:
My wife found a used Ed Brown with holsters, mags, mag carriers, and ammo in the daily newspaper that she bought for $1800. It is part of my CWP equipment now. The original tag is about $2550 for the pistol alone.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #19

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

My wife found a used Ed Brown with holsters, mags, mag carriers, and ammo in the daily newspaper that she bought for $1800. It is part of my CWP equipment now. The original tag is about $2550 for the pistol alone.
Wow!!!
That was a smoking deal.
EB is tops in my book.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Depending on the name, models and features, I would think that $1800-$2200 would be the range you would be in.

If you are interested, hit up George at Michigan Gunslingers. He always has great deals on high end 1911's. Several folks here have used him and he ships to any FFL without hassle.