Will this harm the gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Will this harm the gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Will this harm the gun?

Hey everyone,
Does it hurt the gun when racking over a fully loaded magazine (and empty chamber) that was inserted when the slide was closed?

In other words, following this procedure:
-1911 slide is closed, hammer is down
-8 round magazine inserted
-slide racked to get the top round into the chamber

I'm asking this because I find it pretty rough to pull the slide over the 8 round mag when the slide is closed. When the slide is open I just have to release the slide so it's easy then.

I'm worried about damaging the extractor or something...

Thanks!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #2

Liked 2759 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 2655

No. That's what happens when you fire the weapon, it slides back over the loaded magazine.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

I don't see why it would . That is the way I do it with all semi-autos, long guns or handguns.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

+1, what he said. ^^^

Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I have noticed the same thing on my Wilson mag. Take one round out and see if you notice a difference. I did on mine, and I felt a big difference. I have a Kimber pro carry, just for reference.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
No. That's what happens when you fire the weapon, it slides back over the loaded magazine.
That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure that there was not something I was disregarding. I find myself having to pull pretty hard to get the slide to go over 8 rounds, was worried that something inside could get broken. It's really easy when only 7 rounds are in the mag OR when I just release the slide on the 8th round.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 01-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #7

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Last I checked, that's how you load it

Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

just dont let the slide slam shut on a empty chamber, as in not chambering a round. also dropping a round in the chamber and letting it slam shut can dmage the extractor.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #9

Thanks all, got my answer in a minute, really appreciate it! I read a comment online saying it damages the gun and my initial reaction was that the gun did it by itself when firing but better be safe than sorry on an expensive gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
just dont let the slide slam shut on a empty chamber, as in not chambering a round. also dropping a round in the chamber and letting it slam shut can dmage the extractor.
"dropping" as in manually inserting a round in the chamber?

Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
"dropping" as in manually inserting a round in the chamber?
Exactly. That move forces the extractor to go over the rim of the casing and can cause the extractor to go out of tune and reduce the effectiveness to extract the casing.

Always load a 1911 from a magazine.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)