Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Will this harm the gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/will-harm-gun-56099/)

2ndAmendmentFreedom 01-23-2012 01:34 AM

Will this harm the gun?

Hey everyone,
Does it hurt the gun when racking over a fully loaded magazine (and empty chamber) that was inserted when the slide was closed?

In other words, following this procedure:
-1911 slide is closed, hammer is down
-8 round magazine inserted
-slide racked to get the top round into the chamber

I'm asking this because I find it pretty rough to pull the slide over the 8 round mag when the slide is closed. When the slide is open I just have to release the slide so it's easy then.

I'm worried about damaging the extractor or something...

Thanks!

rjd3282 01-23-2012 01:36 AM

No. That's what happens when you fire the weapon, it slides back over the loaded magazine.

Georgiahunter 01-23-2012 01:37 AM

I don't see why it would . That is the way I do it with all semi-autos, long guns or handguns.

Gatoragn 01-23-2012 01:38 AM

+1, what he said. ^^^

kobel1up 01-23-2012 01:41 AM

I have noticed the same thing on my Wilson mag. Take one round out and see if you notice a difference. I did on mine, and I felt a big difference. I have a Kimber pro carry, just for reference.

2ndAmendmentFreedom 01-23-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 686018)
No. That's what happens when you fire the weapon, it slides back over the loaded magazine.

That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure that there was not something I was disregarding. I find myself having to pull pretty hard to get the slide to go over 8 rounds, was worried that something inside could get broken. It's really easy when only 7 rounds are in the mag OR when I just release the slide on the 8th round.

trip286 01-23-2012 01:44 AM

Last I checked, that's how you load it :)

JonM 01-23-2012 01:47 AM

just dont let the slide slam shut on a empty chamber, as in not chambering a round. also dropping a round in the chamber and letting it slam shut can dmage the extractor.

2ndAmendmentFreedom 01-23-2012 01:47 AM

Thanks all, got my answer in a minute, really appreciate it! I read a comment online saying it damages the gun and my initial reaction was that the gun did it by itself when firing but better be safe than sorry on an expensive gun :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 686044)
just dont let the slide slam shut on a empty chamber, as in not chambering a round. also dropping a round in the chamber and letting it slam shut can dmage the extractor.

"dropping" as in manually inserting a round in the chamber?

danf_fl 01-23-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom (Post 686045)
"dropping" as in manually inserting a round in the chamber?

Exactly. That move forces the extractor to go over the rim of the casing and can cause the extractor to go out of tune and reduce the effectiveness to extract the casing.

Always load a 1911 from a magazine.