Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > why is this happening?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default why is this happening?

When i was shooting my new 1911 the other day i had a strange thing happen to me a couple of times. The slide would lock back like on an empty magazine, but there would still be one or two rounds in the mag. I was using brand new wilson combat mags and speer lawman 230gr roundnose ammo. o i forgot the rounds in the mag would be slightly forward, like the rim of the case was about 1/4 of an inch from the back of the mag.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
When i was shooting my new 1911 the other day i had a strange thing happen to me a couple of times. The slide would lock back like on an empty magazine, but there would still be one or two rounds in the mag. I was using brand new wilson combat mags and speer lawman 230gr roundnose ammo. o i forgot the rounds in the mag would be slightly forward, like the rim of the case was about 1/4 of an inch from the back of the mag.

Well, speer isn't exactly the best ammo (good target ammo though) it's possible that the pressure rom the bullets was not hot enough to cycle through properly I had that happen a whole lot using speer ammo in my colt 45.

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #3

Default It's cycling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples.32 View Post
Well, speer isn't exactly the best ammo (good target ammo though) it's possible that the pressure rom the bullets was not hot enough to cycle through properly I had that happen a whole lot using speer ammo in my colt 45.
It's hot enough to push the slide back so that it's locking on what it THINKS is an empty mag.

2 Likely Sources:

1. The lips of the mag are slightly off. Try opening them slightly, making sure the edges are parallel, etc. You might go to your local gun shop, where they should have several other mags you can use for comparison.

2. The feed ramp isn't polished. New ramps can be a little rough from the milling, and some makers may not take the time to properly polish it. Lead bullets can easily snag on the rough surface.

Polish the ramp, and try again with FMJ ammo.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
2. The feed ramp isn't polished. New ramps can be a little rough from the milling, and some makers may not take the time to properly polish it. Lead bullets can easily snag on the rough surface.

Polish the ramp, and try again with FMJ ammo.
Hotsauce, didn't you have some concerns about the appearance of the ramp, earlier? Dimpled or something?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hotsauce, didn't you have some concerns about the appearance of the ramp, earlier? Dimpled or something?
ya it had some little knicks in the finish it had from the factory, this particular model of kimber had the internal parts coated like the outside and the feed ramp was starting to chip, i polished the finish off of it and got it pretty smooth, but i dont think its hanging up on the feed ramp

Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hot Sauce - I am inclined to agree that the problem is probably your mag, or the combo of the mag and that ammo. I don't think it's a problem with your weapon.

If the feed ramp was causing the issue, you would get the round part way out of the mag and it hang up going into the chamber.

This sounds like the round isn't even leaving the mag, it's merely being pushed forward enough to cause significant force to lock the slide in place and make it think you have an empty mag.

I would try a couple of different mags before I made any modifications to the weapon itself.

If it starts doing the same thing with each and every mag you try, then I might consider either the strength of the recoil spring, or the feed ramp, but I kind of doubt either of those are really your problem...

JD

Old 06-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Hot Sauce - I am inclined to agree that the problem is probably your mag, or the combo of the mag and that ammo. I don't think it's a problem with your weapon.

If the feed ramp was causing the issue, you would get the round part way out of the mag and it hang up going into the chamber.

This sounds like the round isn't even leaving the mag, it's merely being pushed forward enough to cause significant force to lock the slide in place and make it think you have an empty mag.

I would try a couple of different mags before I made any modifications to the weapon itself.

If it starts doing the same thing with each and every mag you try, then I might consider either the strength of the recoil spring, or the feed ramp, but I kind of doubt either of those are really your problem...

JD

Thanks JD the first 50-60 rounds i fired i had this happen about once a mag, but after about 200 rounds it stopped happening as much and toward the end it didnt happen at all so maybe the mags were just tight and theyll get better with more ammo so ill just try and shoot the problems out of it and if it keeps happening ill try to rediagnose.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
Thanks JD the first 50-60 rounds i fired i had this happen about once a mag, but after about 200 rounds it stopped happening as much and toward the end it didnt happen at all so maybe the mags were just tight and theyll get better with more ammo so ill just try and shoot the problems out of it and if it keeps happening ill try to rediagnose.
Depending on the Model of 1911, there are those that will tell you that you need to expend 500 or 600 rounds through a 1911 to get it "broken in".

I have never prescribed to this theory - but the first 1911 I purchased was a Kimber - so I kind of jumped into the deep end.

I have heard this "500 or 600" round clear up plenty of 1911's from certain manufacturers, so I would be interested to hear of your final thoughts on the issue.

There is nothing wrong with extra practice, but to "plan" on a weapon needing that kind of "work" before it is reliable has always puzzled me.

I will be looking forward to your updates - please keep us informed!

JD

Old 06-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Does the problem happen with the Kimber mags?

Slide lock-back is simple mechanics, mag follower rises to the empty position and contacts the lock forcing it up into the slide's lock relief on its final recoil.

That's why I only use mags with metal followers that make that important contact point.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-26-2009, 02:57 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Does the problem happen with the Kimber mags?

Slide lock-back is simple mechanics, mag follower rises to the empty position and contacts the lock forcing it up into the slide's lock relief on its final recoil.

That's why I only use mags with metal followers that make that important contact point.
I havent tried the kimber mag i will next time to see what happens

i did go into a gunsmith this evening and he looked at it, and played with it for a while, and he said it may be the spring holds tension on the slide lock may need to be stretched a little bit providing more tension. He said that on the 6th or 7th shot when the slide recoils if there was not enough tension on that spring the slide lock could flip up and lock the slide back.