Why carry "cocked and locked" instead of chambered with hammer down? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Why carry "cocked and locked" instead of chambered with hammer down?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This debate again

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5688 Times on 2972 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayscat44 View Post
My thumb pulling the hammer back is no more difficult than my thumb bringing the safety down. It's just one of those things that doesn't make sense to me. Someone please tell me why it's better to be cocked and locked.
Reason being is cocking the hammer with the firing hand does chanhe your grip. What you do smoothly in a stress free environmemt is extremely difficult if not impossible to do under life and death stress.

Its pithy to say that and if you havent been in a position where someone is doing their level best from 6feet away or less to kill you its hard to convey the difference.

Cocking a hammer with the off hand is actually thecorrect way to do it.

Anyway you can do what you want its your life your putting at risk training with a flawed method. Long asyour not teaching anyone else to do it its just yourself your risking and thats your business.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #13

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I can kind of see that IF you cock it with the left thumb -
No way i can cock & keep gun on target near as well as i can just "thumbing" the safety down -
That says it all.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #14

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I carry a USP .40 variant 1, sa/da manual safety and decocker in condition 2, only have to thumb down the safety ( which is a natural movement and doesn't comprimise grip or target sight) and fire from da. Now if my gun were sao I would definitely carry cocked and locked.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry my Glock with a round in the chamber. No safety except for the trigger safety which isn't really a safety. I know many people who carry their Springfield XDs and glocks like this.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2894 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck4Glocks View Post
I carry my Glock with a round in the chamber. No safety except for the trigger safety which isn't really a safety. I know many people who carry their Springfield XDs and glocks like this.
different platform with different safety blocks.
(This is the 1911 forum)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #17

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

"I would strongly agree that a single action gun without a firing pin block (safety) should not be carried with a round in the chamber and the hammer down. Without the block in place, the hammer movement could cause the gun to fire even the trigger wasn’t pulled."
Col Jeff Cooper

Old 04-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayscat44 View Post
"More natural"...not to me. Maybe because I practice my draw by pulling the hammer back after I'm on target. I don't increase my speed by putting the safety down instead. They are both a single movement of the thumb. I've never seen anyone twist the gun because they're pulling the hammer back, and pulling it back with the support hand...well that's just silly.
To me, using the thumb of the firing hand (assuming that's the one you're using) requires two movements: 1) cock hammer 2) place thumb on grip. Because I don't want to leave my thumb on the hammer when I pull the trigger.

The act of flipping the safety off places my thumb right where I want it for firing. Though If you prefer a grip with your thumb curled down, you're looking at two movements either way.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #19

Many, many people have carried the 1911 "cocked and locked." Maybe Hoss just has his ol' hoglegs in mind. Some people just find carrying "cocked and locked" scary. I myself carry my 1911's "cocked and locked" while hunting. I sometimes carry my CZ 75B and Browning Hi-Power this way. I actually hate shooting an auto in DA mode. Hence the reason I don't care for ANY striker fired pistol.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow gang, that's the things I needed to hear. You have convinced me that "hammer down" is in fact the more dangerous way to go. I am going cocked and locked from this point on. Many GOOD comments. Not too proud to learn something. I just needed it explained in detail, and that you did.Thanks again.