Why carry "cocked and locked" instead of chambered with hammer down?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Why carry "cocked and locked" instead of chambered with hammer down?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Why carry "cocked and locked" instead of chambered with hammer down?

My thumb pulling the hammer back is no more difficult than my thumb bringing the safety down. It's just one of those things that doesn't make sense to me. Someone please tell me why it's better to be cocked and locked.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayscat44 View Post
My thumb pulling the hammer back is no more difficult than my thumb bringing the safety down. It's just one of those things that doesn't make sense to me. Someone please tell me why it's better to be cocked and locked.
Assuming that you are referring to a 1911 which is designed to be carried "cocked and locked" it is more natural to thumb down the safety while simultaneously putting the sights on target. Many times the hand is twisted or the support hand is used to cock the hammer, this disengages the sights and requires additional time to get back on target...those additional seconds or fractions of a second may cost you your life.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

"More natural"...not to me. Maybe because I practice my draw by pulling the hammer back after I'm on target. I don't increase my speed by putting the safety down instead. They are both a single movement of the thumb. I've never seen anyone twist the gun because they're pulling the hammer back, and pulling it back with the support hand...well that's just silly.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not trying to argue FOR the way I do it. I'm really looking for a SOLID reason why it's better (cocked and locked). So far it just seems like "well, that's just the way it's done."

Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #5

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

For me, it's faster and more natural dropping the safety. If I work the hammer, I have to work at it a little. Just me though.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #6

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The 1911 was designed with multiple safeties , the grip safety which you ah not be engaging fully while cocking the gun, also if you slip when drawing the hammer back it can engage the half cock notch which adds another step to the process. If you draw the gun cocked and locked you engage the grip safety fully you remove the firearm from safe with your thumb and when you pull the trigger it drop all the way fully engaging the firing pin and firing a round. It was designed to be fired in this manner and firing it any other manner risks a delay in getting your first shot off. I have also been told that it was believed to be unsafe carried in the hammer down position as dropping it could possibly cause an accidental discharge. I have never seen this but all safeties are designed for cocked and locked carry.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayscat44
"More natural"...not to me. Maybe because I practice my draw by pulling the hammer back after I'm on target. I don't increase my speed by putting the safety down instead. They are both a single movement of the thumb. I've never seen anyone twist the gun because they're pulling the hammer back, and pulling it back with the support hand...well that's just silly.
Think about the forces applied. Flipping the safety requires very little downward force with the thumb and the path the thumb travels to grab the grip is in line with the safety. Think about pulling back the hammer. This requires substantially more force than flipping the safety off, and it requires your hand to exert more counter forces to compensate for the rearward and down force you are applying to the hammer, which changes the angle of the gun and takes the sights off target (most of the time). It's just more practical to flip down the safety as you grip and take aim then have to counterbalance the forces required to cock the hammer while taking aim. Just my $0.02.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3094 Times on 1778 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

To me, when you lower the hammer of a 1911 down on a loaded chamber, the risk of having it slip and detonate the round makes it a stupid and dangerous act.
And unless there is a firing pin block, the chance that the firearm gets dropped and lands on the hammer, there is also the possibility of discharge.

When the military carries the 1911, there is no mag, the hammer is down on an UNLOADED chamber. The handgun would get charged when there was a threat pending.

IMO, there is no reason to take a chance of a ND.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the pistol is under more control when using the thumb safety vs. using the same thumb to cock the hammer back. especially if you have an extended beavertail grip safety. the pistol is supported way more and easier to sweep the thumb safety downwards, rather than trying to cock the hammer back with the same thumb. now if your argument goes the direction, of using the other hand also to cock the hammer back with it, yes it can be done and the pistol is much better supported and you will have increased control. now in the instance, an attack is way up close and personal, and you are using your left hand and arm to hold off someone while drawing your weapon. well now you are limited to being able to use only your right hand to draw the weapon and bring it into action. by trying to use the thumb on that right hand to cock the hammer, you lose some support of the pistol and could lose control of the pistol and possibly drop it. yes i believe the cocked and locked with the thumb safety is the better way than with the hammer down and cocking it when drawing it.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #10

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayscat44 View Post
I can kind of see that IF you cock it with the left thumb -
No way i can cock & keep gun on target near as well as i can just "thumbing" the safety down -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET