Why aren't 1911s fitted with a decocker instead of a manual safety? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Why aren't 1911s fitted with a decocker instead of a manual safety?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
I guess it's a cost/benefit either way. If you have it on out of holster, you'll probably panic and fumble with it and might end up dead. If you leave it off, you run the risk of grabbing the trigger and shooting yourself. Either way. But for a SD or duty gun, I tend to leave the trigger of a SAO a little on the heavy side for that reason. Same for a DA of a DA/SA.
That's why the 1911 is better suited for the highly knowledgeable and trained then for the not so trained, I've never fumbled with it it's a muscle memory thing, and your right the 1911 as a self defense weapon should have no less then a 4 lb trigger pull, you know adrenalin and all.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #32

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just don't see the point in training yourself in yet another discipline of firearms when for proper self defense you need to know three or four sighting disciplines (the "proper" way of shooting, point shooting, quick sighting, etc), drawing properly from your type of holster (I know three), learning not to panic, and if you want to take farther, how to handle CQC situations (which I'd like to learn, but those cost money). At least with a DA/SA with decocker, you passively become accustomed to the first heavy long pull.

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #33

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
I just don't see the point in training yourself in yet another discipline of firearms when for proper self defense you need to know three or four sighting disciplines (the "proper" way of shooting, point shooting, quick sighting, etc), drawing properly from your type of holster (I know three), learning not to panic, and if you want to take farther, how to handle CQC situations (which I'd like to learn, but those cost money). At least with a DA/SA with decocker, you passively become accustomed to the first heavy long pull.
I completely agree with you you are not the type of person that should depend on the 1911, not the right aptitude, maybe a Barretta, but not a 1911.

The DA/SA with a decocker requires you to change your grip angle to cock the hammer and is giving you a false sense of security , I rather depend on the simplicity of the 1911, my training and ability.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #34
mcb

Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I always assumed the thumb safety was there because of a relatively light and short trigger on a 1911.

I think without the thumb safety we would have 1911 leg cases instead of Glock leg. Glocks have a fairly long trigger pull at 5.5 lbs and some geniuses still manage to shoot themselves.

I don't think about the thumb safety it is just second nature to me now.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney
And can people get off the terminology? It's a beaver tail safety to me because it makes up the beaver tail, it's a manual safety because I have to manually disengage it Etc.
Actually, in the Navy eons ago we referred to those components as "Grip Safety" and "Thumb Safety."

Old 06-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #36
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1681 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Default 1911 decocking/safety

I keep my Colt .45 in my nightstand LOADED, READY TO GO, BUT HALF COCKED. I have always used the half cock position as a safety feature instead of the thumb safety.

The only time I use the thumb safety is during cleaning.
dscn0580.jpg  
US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings, P2V plane capt. Also a Tail hooker, US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) NDW shooting team member. VN vet, Bluenose and Shellback.

Alway keep your six covered

Old 06-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba

I completely agree with you you are not the type of person that should depend on the 1911, not the right aptitude, maybe a Barretta, but not a 1911.

The DA/SA with a decocker requires you to change your grip angle to cock the hammer and is giving you a false sense of security , I rather depend on the simplicity of the 1911, my training and ability.
I hang out on the 1911 forum because it doesn't have the holier than thou folks the Glocks do. Please don't screw that up. There are plenty of DA/SA with great ergonomics. CZ for one. Beretta is namely manual safety, and if you have to add extra steps between draw and bang, what's so simple about it?

Last edited by Kenney; 06-09-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #38

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Okay, I understand that a decocker puts a DA/SA back into DA mode, which is it's form of safety. I also understand that on a SAO, you don't have much use for it because of external safety such as the manual and beaver tail. This still doesn't explain the platform having both a manual and a beaver tail when the latter is essentially retard proof. In the rare occasion that you need to lower the hammer with a round in the chamber, wouldn't it come in handy? Like I said, can't ever recall using the safety on a 1911. Sometimes I think it's there for decorations or to annoy left handed people into buying a ambi.
Can will be along to refute it if I am wrong, but seems I heard that JMB added the thumb safety by request from the army/calvary?

Old 06-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #39

Liked 9217 Times on 5060 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Hey! Let's leave GLOCK out of this guys. That particular firearm has no place in this thread. It's about 1911's, decockers, and thumb safeties, NONE of which involves GLOCK. There have been an awful lot of threads that have devolved into GLOCK vs 1911 pissing matches, and it's getting old, and may not be very appealing to new members. Besides, we all know perfection was achieved by the Great John Moses Browning in the year of 1910...which was patented in 1911...

Old 06-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee

Can will be along to refute it if I am wrong, but seems I heard that JMB added the thumb safety by request from the army/calvary?
That's what I found. Along with a lot of forums asking the same thing. So it seems that JMB had the same opinion as me. Colt and the army are the naysayers.

Closed Thread