Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Why aren't 1911s fitted with a decocker instead of a manual safety?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Its been bloated and stinkin for quite some time
Grandpa just likes to be thorough.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 06-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney

I hang out on the 1911 forum because it doesn't have the holier than thou folks the Glocks do. Please don't screw that up. There are plenty of DA/SA with great ergonomics. CZ for one. Beretta is namely manual safety, and if you have to add extra steps between draw and bang, what's so simple about it?
1911's ain't for everybody. I always say "find the right gun for you" My side arm of choice is the 1911, Eternal.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
Anyone who refers to a 1911 grip safety as a "Bever Tail Safety" needs more training in semi-auto handguns. The manual safety allows for the carriage of a pistol in condition one. The Colt is carried hot with the hammer at full cock and safety engaged. The grip safety makes the gun safe if the shooter drops the weapon or other wise has a loss of control over the weapon. The Colt 1911 pistol was designed to replace the Colt SAA revolver for horse mounted Cavalry Units. The pistol was secured to the rider with a lanyard and was often drop to the lanyard in order to control the mount. The grip safety would over ride the cock and locked sidearm. The rider could retrieve his 1911 and with a secured grip could engage the powerful .45 ACP. The same procedures used by the Cavalry can be applied today with modern combat shooters. If you really own a 1911 you need to study the arm and get some Inst. before you shoot your knee cap off.
Very well said.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #94

I really hate that someone always has to enter a thread and be negative but that is another freedom I have and will fight for, Americans right To have an opinion even when it sux

Old 06-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #95

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like 1911s, I really do. Is it the gun to end all guns? No, but it and Browning's other design, the Hi-Power, are two steps in the right direction.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Old 06-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #96

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glocks on the other hand... Let's just say history has its screw ups too.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 AM   #97

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you decock a 1911, there is no mechanical means with which to cock the hammer again. You would have to do so manually, that is why they don't have decockers.
If you don't want to use the thumb safety, that is your choice. The finger connected to your brain ultimately being the only safety device that actually means anything, that is up to you. Personally I find it so natural to flick the safety as I aquire a grip on the gun that I don't even think about it. I just slide my thumb down the side of the slide until it is under the thumb safety, disengaging it in the process of drawing from the holster.

John Browning has more patents to his name than any other person. Firearms would not be what they are today if it weren't for him. If there were an opening for god of firearms his name would be at the top of my list.
With that said..... I carry a SIG P226.
I do agree with you Kenney, there is not one gun to rule them all. (Just had to add my two cents since I saw everyone else was doing it! )

Old 06-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #98

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Cannot improve upon perfection!!!

EVERY semi auto pistol to come after 1911 is some attempt to improve on perfection....ALL have failed!
I wouldn't say all have failed. Signed Gaston

Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #99

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchops View Post
Glock, a number or shoddy ideas, poorly executed with a number of extreme flaws, including a crap trigger, dangerous safety features, terrible ergonomics all wrapped up in on really ugly package. And this is perfection?

P.S. get off of our sub forum. There's a reason we have a Glock forum. If you insist on worshiping a polymer pistol, please at least worship good pistols like the XD or H&K.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #100
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchops View Post
Dear Gaston, yours does!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Closed Thread