Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Why the 1911 magazine debate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have had several factory mags work just fine, but i also have name brands work a little better. Alot of it can be just the shooter prefference, and bad mags. Its just like anything else you get good ones and bad ones plain and simple. I had shot my citadel, ria, colt and sig with factory mags with only a couple all out failures. Mainly the act mags that was with the citadel and ria. While shooting one day the bottoms of the act mags just feel of dumping my rounds onto the ground. After realizing what happend and getting very upset i started buying better mags. Wilson, Mcormick, Tripp cobras, and so on. There is a difference in all mags some people cant tell a difference or u may not be able to tell a dufference between guns. But in my perticular case i can, my sig is not fond of the wilsons but does great with the tripps and mcormicks.
But alot of can just boil down to the difference between colt and rock island. Its just personal prefference. This is just my opinion and my particular guns. What ever works for the individual person by all means shoot and have a great time, thats what matters most.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

oem mags are often hard to find. they often dont really work that well exception being colt and springfield. buying milsurps when it comes to 1911 mags they are often just repackaged korean knockoffs parading as milsurp.

ive got some mags that served with the 25th infantry division in ww2 likely saw action with some soldier in the pacific korea and vietnam. they work great. problem is finding more of the same that is for sure the real deal.

so one can order great aftermarket mags or hunt like the devil for oem or real milsurps

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #13

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Hell, I don't debate anymore - just "listen"
I've got some Mec-Gar & Metalform, CM, Colt & a few i don't know what they are -- I test them, if they work PERFECTLY i keep them- if they don't after a couple loads i toss'em in the "just plinkin" drawer

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #14

Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

The mags that came with my RIA's all work perfect and the spares I bought were colt and they work perfect

Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #15

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Maybe it just makes the guy who bought a high dollar gun that doesn't function correctly feel better to blame it on the mags.
disco!, On the noisy, or any other way of saying "you sir, are right!"

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #16

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Why do we discuss what magazines we need and to improve them after we get em?
1911 magazines are not designed exactly the same. There are differences in springs, follower, and feed lip designs. Some magazines are designed only for ball ammunition, while others will feed either ball or hollow points. A lot of problems with magazines are from people using hollow points with a magazine designed for ball ammunition.

Also old magazines that have been left loaded often have the feed lips spread which causes double feeds. Several magazine manufacturers have designs that resist spreading. Not all ramps on guns are cut at the correct angle, and some magazines will help overcome an incorrectly cut feed ramp as the follower tilts the bullet to a different position that feeds in that gun.

Lastly, there are people like me that own multiple 1911's and want one brand of magazine that functions in every gun so you can just grab a number of magazines and go out and shoot without having dedicated magazines for every gun.

I use Wilson ETMs in every 1911 that I have with no problems with feeding ball or hollow point ammunition. For 10 round magazines, I've tried both Tripp and Chip McCormick and the McCormick magazines work better for a couple of reasons. The main one being the magazine stop on the CMC is a better design and you can't over insert the magazine - you can on a Tripp if you're doing a fast reload and slam the magazine into a gun with a magazine well.

I could go on....but, the idea that all 1911 magazines are the same just isn't accurate. Go to the Checkmate Industries website and look at the different designs they have for 1911 magazines and you'll see a number of differences from a single manufacturer in follower and feed lip design.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2279 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

I encourage that people purchase the best magazines possible.

I learned from a few mistakes I made when I thought I knew more and had less money.

I purchased a few of those "packages" of milsurps. By the time I sorted out which worked and which didn't, I had the same amount money in one milsurp that I would have spent on one quality mag. That left me with a bunch on non-reliable mags that I couldn't even give away. (And I did not save any money.)

Some may learn from our mistakes, some will take our words as gospel without question, and some will try to pave the same road that we paved.

IMO, if we purchased only quality products, then maybe, those that produce cheap products will get the hint.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #18

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 699

I have Colt and surplus mags I used over the years in my Colt. Recently I got some Mec-Gars that work great. Lately Mec-Gar is all I've purchased for my Hi Power, Luger and 5906, they do it right at a decent price.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2177 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I have Colt and surplus mags I used over the years in my Colt. Recently I got some Mec-Gars that work great. Lately Mec-Gar is all I've purchased for my Hi Power, Luger and 5906, they do it right at a decent price.
+1.
In my CZ, EAA Witness and my .40 s&w1911, they have been excellent.
I just haven't tried them in .45 for the 1911. I probably should.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #20

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I have Colt and surplus mags I used over the years in my Colt. Recently I got some Mec-Gars that work great. Lately Mec-Gar is all I've purchased for my Hi Power, Luger and 5906,
Quote:
they do it right at a decent price.
Agree, i don't hesitate to buy them BUT i don't recommend them- I don't recommend anyone buy much of anything - I'll give my opinion but let folk buy what they want - Most seem to feel they need the most exspensive product out there to do the job

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET