Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Why the 1911 magazine debate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Why the 1911 magazine debate?

Why do we discuss what magazines we need and to improve them after we get em?

I came across a post today on a forum where a person got a new Kimber only hours earlier and was asking what magazines he needed to get!

I was like, dude, it came with a magazine. Just buy a few OEMs and you're good.

But all the post above and below were telling him to get "brand X" magazine, replace everything with "brand z" internals, and go from there.

I offered up try OEMs.

Then I asked, why was it in WWII they used stock magazines with no fancy name, bullet proof springs, or special teflon coated base plates and still won the war? Hard to believe I know. Imagine fighting for your life without the brand name on the side of the magazine in today's times.

I think i found the reason. The younger generation who are now starting carrying are victims of a soft up bringing. Getting everything they want as long as it had a name sewn on the side or embroidered somewhere on it.

It has carried over to guns. Now the age of being able to carry people look at guns like Paris Hilton looks at dogs. Nothing but for show and it has to be cool.

So when they get a new 1911 its off to WC or other to dress it up. Ask somebody what they carry. They will say Brand X 1911 with Brand Z magazines in the same breath. They wont just say 1911 or brand x 1911.

“We’re consumers. We are by-products of a lifestyle obsession. Murder, crime, poverty, these things don’t concern me. What concerns me are celebrity magazines, television with 500 channels, some guy’s name on my underwear."-Tyler Durden

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2528 Times on 1267 Posts
Likes Given: 239

If we were all shooting GI Ammo through GI guns, the old stand-bys would be fine. Things have moved on, for better or worse.
Tighter specs on this and that.
Folks wanting to shoot SWCs out of them.
Ramped Match barrels.
They ain't grandpa's Ithaca any more. Needs change and the products do as well.

FWIW, my SA OEM mags were flawless. the Checkmates with my DW, less so. When I buy mags, I tend to stick with what works. For me, that means Wilson Combat 47Ds for the .45s. They just work. That 8th round is nice too. Honestly, cheaper Chip McCormicks or Metalforms might be fine, then again maybe not. Why monkey about when you have what works.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #3

Liked 2140 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

I use the two oem mags and a bunch of cheap no name mags in my pt1911 and have no problems at all. They feed everything from HP to SWC just fine. Frankly the tighter spec thing is a non issue in a close range self defense weapon. At 7 feet I'm more worried about function than I am half inch groups. Sure if you are building a bullseye gun tight is good but for combat I'll take mine a tad loose any day.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I run factory Taurus mags in my PT1911, since its been broken in, they work 100%. I also use an original US Army mag and it runs 100%.

People will always bash what they don't have, they own the best, their choice is always better.

You can't fix stupid.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR
bearrwe Likes This 
Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I believe a lot of it is just effective marketing. In some cases, if a pistol has timing issues which cause misfeeds, a different magazine may help cover up the problem. I had 3 of the Philipines 1911s (got rid of one of them) & none of them would feed properly with the ACT mags that came with them. After a lot of experimentation with 4 different brands of mags & about 700 rounds of ammo in each pistol, finally found a couple of 7 round mags that work. Yet, the original ACT mags work perfectly in my Colt.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I have a Charles Daly 1911 which is Armscor, RIA, or whatever else you want to call it. OEM mags work ok, but I run Wilson Combat mags in my EDC option with it because there is a big difference in functionality. Nonetheless, I would think an OEM Kimber mag wouldn't need to be replaced as well but if that's what he asked for then that's what he gets IMO.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1095

Default Not all magazines are created equally.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/tripp-cobra-mags-67288/

Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #8

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I have an SA loaded 1911...
It came with a couple of factory mags (metalform makes them, I think). It also came with a nice "loaded coupon" where I could purchase a bunch more of the same factory mags at a great price. So, I bought a bunch more of those. That is all I run in that gun. Many will claim that factory SA mags are crap but they have worked flawlessly for me.

I also own an Ed Brown Kobra 1911...
It came with only 1 factory mag orginally - so I bought several extra ones from Brown when I ordered the gun. That is all I run in that gun. Many will claim that factory EB mags are crap but they have worked flawlessly for me.

I also own a Dan Wesson Guardian 1911...
It came with two factory mags (checkmate makes them). The factory mags have been flawless but I did want a few extra mags. This time, I opted to by three or four Tripp Cobra mags. They are also flawless and live up to everything that I have heard about them.

I guess the moral of my story is that it really does not have to be "one way or the other". I use both factory OEM mags and brand name mags. I do think that some folks have issues with certain factory OEM mags and we live in a world where "upgrades" are always available & for sale. This is especially true of the 1911 platform in general.
For the exact same reason, a bunch of folks upgrade and add parts to 1911's too. Magazines are part of that "platform culture". I see it as more that than any generational thing.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #9

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I bought a bunch of US surplus 1911 mags in the cosmoline way back when. I've never had an issue with any of them over the years. I've used them in everything from Colts to Detonics to RIA, maybe I've just been lucky. I've had a few that the springs have gotten soft on but after 30 years I won't hold it against them. I just retire them and clean off another. I figure find what works for you, practice with it till your comfortable and who cares what the next guy thinks, he ain't carrying your rig or protecting your family.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #10

Liked 2140 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

Maybe it just makes the guy who bought a high dollar gun that doesn't function correctly feel better to blame it on the mags.