Why a 1911? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Why a 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post
I have also noticed an opposite effect. 1911 shooters, when transitioning over to DA/SA, Double Action Only, or Striker Fired, seem to forget how to manipulate a trigger...
I can pick up SIGs, Glocks, et al, and sling lead competently. The short pull, SA trigger on the 1911 is just much more nice. The 1911 trigger more closely matches that found on a target rifle and therefore is easier to quickly deliver lead on target accurately.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I can pick up SIGs, Glocks, et al, and sling lead competently. The short pull, SA trigger on the 1911 is just much more nice. The 1911 trigger more closely matches that found on a target rifle and therefore is easier to quickly deliver lead on target accurately.
Sorry 'bout that. I didn't mean to imply that is the case with all shooters. Some shooters know how to shoot well enough to actually manipulate the trigger. However, I've come across many who use the trigger on the 1911 as a crutch, and complain that GLOCKs, SIGs, et. al. are inaccurate...

Old 11-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
You only own one Jeep? Is that possible? Is it possible to own one 1911 too?
Yes, I only own one Jeep.. And if I had the money I would own one of every generation.. I love Jeeps! As far as 1911's, I think its impossible to own only one.. Unless you just can't afford it (like me).

Old 11-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Except the P35, which JMB designed to overcome the failings he saw in the 1911...
Not entirely true. I just posted this in another thread - but as the notion of the Hi Power being designed because of "flaws" in the 1911, I feel the need to set the record straight"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger
Browning design of the HP was advanced for the time, but it was cartridge based, not based on any flaws in the 1911 design.

For those that care of the history of one of the world's most prominent gun makers:

John Browning was working on a design request, from of all people, the French Military in 1921. Browning had already sold the rights to the 1911, to Colt, at the time of the contract to the French, so he was FORCED to work around all the Patents that already existed concerning the 1911 - otherwise, it is widely thought, the French would have gotten a double stack 9mm that fit their criteria, but on the 1911 frame.

The French contract was that the weapon must hold 10 or more rounds, have all similar parts to a 1911 ( external hammer, positive safety ) but it also must have a magazine disconnect - which the 1911 did not possess. They also pretty much wanted it in a bullet weight of 8 grams, or higher, and since the .45 hadn't yet gone large capacity, the 9mm was the un-official obvious choice.

Browning designed two versions before his death in 1926, but neither went into production until after his death. Upon the release of Colt Patents on the 1911, which took place in 1928, many of the same previously developed parts of the Browning Genius were incorporated into what BECAME the production unit of 1934 put out by FN.

The Browning Hi Power is a wonderful weapon. It came from a genius, a God among men at the time when weapons were becoming the most important part of combat, but it's considered King of the Nines - not the King of all Pistols.

Take apart an original 1911 and a 1935 production Hi Power and look at how many similarities exist.

Legal issues ( patents ) & the contract request from the customer, were what drove the design of Browning's OTHER wonderchild, not any flaws or problems with his Number 1 Son!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have come to the conclusion that every man should own a 1911 or at least have owned one at one time in their life.

I may be off base, but I feel that same way about owning a motorcycle, a muscle car or a sports car.

I also think every man needs an ass whipping at least once in his adult life so he knows how it feels. It gives a man perspective and if he's smart, it gives him wisdom.

To me, the most important rite of passage is to serve your Country in the Military. To put yourself on the line for love of Country, duty and honor.

All of these things to me mean getting your man card punched. I don't mean knuckle dragging stuff, I mean learning what it means to be a real man.

These days with all the politically correct nonsense, this stuff is getting lost.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Except the P35, which JMB designed to overcome the failings he saw in the 1911...
Browning never finished the design of the HP. Instead, an engineer with FN, Dieudonné Saive, waited for the Colt's patents on the 1911 to lapse, then stole the parts from the 1911 that he couldn't come up with himself.

In addition to the the "superior" safety on the HP is a crappy design and kills any hope of having a decent trigger.

Hammer bite is a more serious problem with the HPs that it has ever been on the 1911s.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 11-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default So, why a 1911?

You know, there was a time I asked that same question. I was young, and I had seen WAY too many movies where the action guys carried the hi-caps like the Beretta 92-F ( Hell, Martin Riggs in Lethal Weapon 1 probably doubled their US sales numbers ). Then John McClane was shooting bad guys left in right in Die Hard.

When the FBI went to the Sig P-228 in .40cal was about the time I was old enough to buy my first handgun. The Beretta was out with their model 96, in .40 cal, at the time as well.

The .40 cal was THE hot round at the time. The supposed stopping power of the .45 AND the hi-cap ability of the 9mm. I mean, C’mon! How could all those law enforcement units, the FBI and all that hot press be wrong?!

I bought a brand new Sig P-229, in .40 cal, and I practiced with it, I carried it, I THOUGHT it was the perfect gun. That gun served me well. I never had any problems. I had a trigger job done, I added night sights, I changed out the barrel for a drop in one that was about ½” longer, Magna-ported, and tight chambered for better accuracy.

A few years later I started working with a guy, Nick B, who was a former sniper in Vietnam. The guy had actually met, face to face, Chuck Mahwhinney and Roy Chandler. I had always been interested in sniping and long range shooting, so we spent many, MANY hours talking field conditions, rounds, stalking, everything involved with “the hunt”

We used to go shooting a lot too. Pistol shooting was convenient; the town we were working in had an indoor range less than 10 minutes from the office. Twice a week we would go sometimes.

Nick used to shoot IPSC, and as such he had a nice 1911. We used to bet, tightest 3 round group, tightest full mag, headshot-hostage target at 50 feet indoors. The guy used to kick my ass. And he did it A lot.

So, one range session Nick breaks out (2) 1911’s. One was his custom and one was a standard Colt. He “made” me put 50 rounds through it, with him watching over my shoulder and showing/explaining a few things. Then he loaded two mags, one with 9 rounds for my Sig and one with 8+1 for the Colt. Then he said to shoot two targets at 15 yards. If my Sig group was tighter, he would give me $100, which he laid on the shooting table, and if the Colt group was tighter, I had to do some research on the 1911; it’s creator and give him a “book report” of what I thought of the weapon.

A few weeks later I had read all about John Browning, I had read the reports of guys like Les Baer, Dave Lauck and the fact that many, many Texas Rangers still used the weapon even though their were “allowed” to carry other, higher capacity weapons. I learned that FBI HRT Team members were each issued (2) 1911 pistols that were created for them, by the Master Armorers of the FBI when they were issued their first patch. I learned that Delta Operators also carried 1911’s – of which they had the right to choose anything they wanted. I read Eric Lee Haney’s accounts, a Plank Holder in DELTA, on how the 1911 was THE pistol to own and how no matter where he was in the world, he could tell another Operator when he met one by the callous’ they developed from years of shooting the 1911.

I ordered my first 1911 about 3 weeks after finishing Haney’s book. I have never carried another weapon since receiving my 1911.

I now have 6 of them. And I have shot, probably, close to 50 other models. I have yet, since that day of “awakening”, been able to figure out why anyone WOULDN’T love a 1911.

It is, hands down, the finest pistol design to ever grace the planet. Every modern auto loading pistol has a lineage that can be traced back to John Browning’s initial design.

If you don’t at least give yourself a chance to shoot a good one, and experience the mastery that is the 1911, then it’s something that just can’t be explained by someone on the internetz I am afraid….

JD

Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You said a mouthful JD. There are some things in life that just have to be experienced.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Delta Operators can carry anything they want. After passing selection, they're give a $3000 stipend to purchase and equip their sidearm. Many of them choose tuned 1911s for their reliability, accuracy and ease of maintenance.

Roger Waters

Old 11-24-2008, 03:34 AM   #20

Wow, thanks for all the well thought out replies. Though I think at some point I was downgraded on my man card? I wept a little since I don't have to hold it in anymore due to my points reduction

I will go up to the shop soon and check out a 1911, though before I go I don't want to look like a complete nimrod.

Is there any specific brand or different handling method for a 1911 from your standard SIG/GLOCK/WALTHER/S&W that I ought to know about so that when they hand me the weapon I know what to look for in a good one?

Thanks again in advance!

PS: I'm not sure if I want to have a second.. you know what.. I have my HANDS FULL with the one I already have if you know what I mean.

PPS: I don't do Jeeps or Motorcycles, every time I go to buy a bike it seems one of my friends or coworkers get in bad wrecks or killed on one, plus it's too short of a season in MA.