Why a 1911?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Why a 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Why a 1911?

So, I can safely say that I have never owned/shot/ or even SEEN a 1911 style handgun. I know, I know, here come the gasps!

So, I was wondering.. why a 1911? I searched many forums and scoured the internet for the reason, but I can't seem to find any reason that I wouldn't say purchase a Sig P220 over a Kimber 1911.

I have actually noticed that there are quite a few posts out there with people having ISSUES with 1911. Not sure if it's just fanboys in a pack or what?

Please educate me so that I too many see what this thrill is.

Thank you in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #2

2 great things came from 1911 :
Ronald Reagan and the 1911 Colt format pistol.

Both live on as legends !

The 1911 format pistol VS a SIG is a PC vs. MAC type arguement.

The 1911 is a proven, reliable format pistol. The constant is the design...not the quality between manufacturers. All MAY work and most need tweeking for absolute reliability. The consistant characteristics are they are single action, safe to carry cocked and locked (as designed), you MUST depress the grip safety gripping the pistol to fire and then press the safety down to fire.
The trigger pull is always the same and consistant...no double action and then single action like a SIG....nor a long cocking and striker fire like a Glock.
The clean, consistant trigger pull of the 1911 leads to consistant accuracy, based upon the shooting experience of the operator.
Nothing to decock to render safe to re-holster like a SIG. Just thumb the manual safety up and as it is holstered, removing your hand from the frame activates the grip safety from the frame.
The classic 1911 is a single stack pistol taking a 7 or 8 round magazine plus one in the chamber. As a single stack pistol, it is basically flat and conceals well with a quality holster.
Classically, it is chambered in 45acp...the bench-mark round for self-defense to which most other pistol rounds are compared. At it's classic 230 grain FMJ bullet, it is a proven stopper and less likely to over penetrate or bounce.
1911's are not all created equal, except in controls and function. You get what you pay for ! If you spend the same price point as a SIG $ 700-800, you get a pretty reliable pistol. Spend less..tolerate more issues..spend more..it's all about quality and features.

ANY semi-auto pistol should be fired a minimum of 200 to 500 rounds before being considered broken in and reliable for carry/self-defense. Lower end 1911's may need reliability tune ups for function with all types of ammo. Triggers may need to be cleaned up for a crisp and clean pull. On the original
GI style the addition of a beaver-tail grip safety and a round commander style hammer will eliminate hammer bite on your shooting hand from firing and
spread the recoil our better.
Best recommendation is have a friend let you shoot one...and see what you think. Recoil is manageable and custom features range from ambi safeties to better sights to suit your specific needs. The 1911 is a building platform that allows for many add-on creature features to suit your changing style or wants.
They are not for everybody and 45acp costs more than 9mm to shoot....but try one and see if this American classic peaks your interest !

Old 11-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Oh hell...

This thread is going to garner some responses... LOL

I am going to wait a bit before I add my thoughts.

1 - I don't want to react with an outright blast of historical, combat, style, features type of post that will be too long. That might rob some people of their fun... LOL

2 - I have to get over the fact that you have never seen a 1911 before?!

How is that possible? You simply must go to a gun shop, today, and at least hold one for crying out loud. Even if you hate it, you have to at least go and feel the damn thing... LOL

JD

Old 11-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You simply must go to a gun shop, today, and at least hold one for crying out loud. Even if you hate it, you have to at least go and feel the damn thing... LOL
Definitely! Best way I can describe it is similar to owning a Jeep.. You simply will not understand until you own one!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
This thread is going to garner some responses... LOL

I am going to wait a bit before I add my thoughts.

1 - I don't want to react with an outright blast of historical, combat, style, features type of post that will be too long. That might rob some people of their fun... LOL

2 - I have to get over the fact that you have never seen a 1911 before?!

How is that possible? You simply must go to a gun shop, today, and at least hold one for crying out loud. Even if you hate it, you have to at least go and feel the damn thing... LOL

JD
I have a small number of handguns that I really enjoy and love but none come close to my KimberCDP Pro Carry. That is my all around favorite CCW weapon and is the weapon of choice for my Bugout Bag. That S.O.B. will eat anything I choose to feed it. I have found that Hornady 200gr. TAP ammo is its favorite diet.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 11-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

1. The 1911's ergonomics are second to none. The pistol feels like an extension on the shooter's hand and arm. The controls are intuitive and well placed.

2. The simple action and trigger are easy to tune and as such, they can cheaply be made to operate very crisp and cleanly. Browning's single action is a work of pure genius.

When you pair a clean action with natural feeling ergonomics, you have a pistol that no one has been able to replicate since the 1911 was designed.

The problem, in today's market, is that 1911s are over hyped and sell for $100-$200 more than they should. This causes people to purchase low end 1911s and expect the performance of a higher end pistol out of them. This paired with the amount of skill required to hold the pistol properly causes problems. The one drawback to the 1911 is that it requires a stable platform for the action to fully utilize the blow back energy to cycle the action.

There is a learning curve that one must deal with to become proficient with a 1911. Many people overlook this, due to them being used to lighter, more modern designed pistols.

In the days before cheap digital cameras, the same similarities could be seen in photography. There were point and shoot 35mm cameras, yet their photos couldn't compare to higher end cameras that required more of the user.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Definitely! Best way I can describe it is similar to owning a Jeep.. You simply will not understand until you own one!
You only own one Jeep? Is that possible? Is it possible to own one 1911 too?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roastie View Post

Please educate me so that I too many see what this thrill is.

Ever get one of those questions you know what the answer is but just can't put together?

Its the closest thing to having a second p&?ker! Well, not quite but you get the idea.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:38 AM   #9

Its the closest thing to having a second p&?ker! Well, not quite but you get the idea.[/QUOTE]

JEEZUZ! I almost died laughing at that!

I seem to get into enough trouble with one... So I like the CZ 75 better...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 11-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

JD
While not a huge fan of the 1911, if you are a pistol shooter, you must have shot at least one. I find it difficult for people to reject a pistol that they haven't shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
When you pair a clean action with natural feeling ergonomics, you have a pistol that no one has been able to replicate since the 1911 was designed.
Except the P35, which JMB designed to overcome the failings he saw in the 1911...

Quote:
The problem, in today's market, is that 1911s are over hyped and sell for $100-$200 more than they should. This causes people to purchase low end 1911s and expect the performance of a higher end pistol out of them. This paired with the amount of skill required to hold the pistol properly causes problems. The one drawback to the 1911 is that it requires a stable platform for the action to fully utilize the blow back energy to cycle the action.
The other downside of this phenomenon is people will purchase a low end 1911, and "smith" it themselves. While I'm sure that gunsmiths love this, most people I've come across just sell it, without telling anyone what they screwed up.

Quote:
There is a learning curve that one must deal with to become proficient with a 1911. Many people overlook this, due to them being used to lighter, more modern designed pistols.
I have also noticed an opposite effect. 1911 shooters, when transitioning over to DA/SA, Double Action Only, or Striker Fired, seem to forget how to manipulate a trigger...