Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Why a 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Why a 1911?

With a nod to NGIB who got me thinking about this platform and those that support it with his quote from Larry Vickers today, I was sent off into cyberspace to find an article I had first read a few years ago that I felt was enlightening at the time.

Massad Ayoob is another of those "Been There, Done That, Stole the T-Shirt" types who has been around for a long time and spent a good deal of that time in "Indian Country" as they say.

Here is an article he wrote for backwoodshomedotcom (with a nod of thanks from FTF for allowing us to link thru).

1911: The classic homeland security pistol by Massad Ayoob Issue #83

For your reading pleasure, he makes some valid arguments as to why some of us choose to rely on this platform.

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Good post JD. I'm not sure why Ayoob is in love with "Series 80 (firing pin block)" designs though. If I had to sum up what a 1911 does for me that no other pistol can do - it makes me a respectable shot. The natural pointability, the weight, and the way it handles recoil and comes back on target makes it a shooter's gun - plain & simple. I have a lot of handguns, Sigs, XDs, Colt & S&W revolvers, and I shoot them all at least well. The bottom line is when I need accurate hits in quick time - I reach for a 1911.

This target was shot at 25 feet, in about 45 seconds total (2 reloads), using 230gr Gold Dots the first time I fired this particular gun...

Old 07-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Good post JD. I'm not sure why Ayoob is in love with "Series 80 (firing pin block)" designs though.
You know, he's old and set in his ways. LOL

Quote:
If I had to sum up what a 1911 does for me that no other pistol can do - it makes me a respectable shot. The natural pointability, the weight, and the way it handles recoil and comes back on target makes it a shooter's gun - plain & simple.
I dont have near the collection that you do, but I have shot and handled just about everything out there. I love my Sig, but when it comes to launching big heavy rounds on target, I just can't do it as well as I can with my 1911's. They just seem to point and shoot right where I want the rounds to go.

Quote:
This target was shot at 25 feet, in about 45 seconds total (2 reloads), using 230gr Gold Dots the first time I fired this particular gun...

- Holy Hell!! That is some impressive shooting there Tex. Remind me to stay clear of your lane of fire when the Zombie Hordes come wandering in.

JD

Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
- Holy Hell!! That is some impressive shooting there Tex. Remind me to stay clear of your lane of fire when the Zombie Hordes come wandering in.

JD
I shot a target with my Sig 239 (in .40) just before this one (didn't save it though) and while it was respectable, it didn't look anything like this one. The .40 has more muzzle whip and the Sig is much lighter and takes more work to get back on target. I like Sigs myself but I can't shoot them near as good as a 1911. I have yet to get my P220 to the range and I'm interested in seeing how well I shoot that one...

Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

I have respect for most other handgun platforms (even the G...., the Glo....., the Gloc...., Oh that plastic pistol), but the 1911 is my favorite.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #6

Default Why not a 1911?

I agree that if you need a pistol that is going to hit what you point at with enough force to do some good, the 1911 (1911A1) with the .45 cal is the best for the job. I am a collector more than a shooter and I have chosen a 1945 Remington Nat. Match as our shooter. It has never failed to impress anyone that fires the wepon and continues to be consistant. We own 50 1911's and 1911A1's with no duplicates with the oldest being a three digit 1912 and the newest beign a three digit LW Comander manufactured in 1950. To say the least, I am hooked on them. Just my point of view.

1911....enough said!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like my glock but when it his the fan I want a 5" 1911 throwing massive hollows at anything needing to be stopped.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #8

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

JD your post was a good read. I'm still going to get a 1911 by the end of the year. I've pretty much decided on a Wilson Combat model as it seems that it will suit my needs as well as my want without going too overboard in expense. Until then I have the .41 mag and .44 mag revolvers, which have been my pervibial bread and butter for many years now.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #9

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper (1920-2006)

“The 1911 remains popular because it’s an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, I’ve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911’s than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals – policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because the know their live may depend on it…Me? I’ve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. It’s a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, I’m not concerned about tight groups. I don’t bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesn’t have to expand to be effective.” Clint Smith From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.

“Is the 1911 an Outdated Design?
Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not to avoid product liability lawsuits. It came from an era where it was the norm to learn how your weapon operated and to practice that operation until it became second nature, not to design the piece to the lowest common denominator. It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today, when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal-making or the fact that the factory is in some well-connected congressman's district. Yes, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the 1911 IS an outdated design....and that's exactly what I love about it.

The gangster era of the 1930s and the two world wars are mythical, archetypal times, and during that time, the "Colt Automatic" was the butt-kicking pistol. There really wasn't any competition over here in auto pistols. Of the great pistols, only the Luger co-existed with the M1911 and they weren't very popular in the States. The Luger was feared and respected, but our lawmen, soldiers and hoods didn't select it to create their legends. I don't know if the Glock or the Beretta will ever get the chance to serve during an era as uniquely suited to the creation of legend and mystique in the way the M1911 did. It's a matter of being in the right place at the right time, and getting the job done when the chips were down."
Rosco S. Benson

“If you’ve heard that Old Ugly is on the way out, you’d better look again, for such is simply untrue; quite the opposite. Everything it has had the capacity to do for the last eight and a half decades remains valid. It thus remains King Of The Hill and will likely continue to do so well into the next millennium. To produce a handgun with better or more practical capabilities will be difficult and perhaps impossible. And I, for one, feel that we can look forward to watching the M1911 continue to dominate the handgun world well into the foreseeable future.”

“So, is there really a "best" pistol? Technically, if we eliminate shooter skill from the equation, yes. When interviewed after the tests, all participants agreed that the big Colt Government .45 (SA) had the best all-around combination of power, "user-friendliness," accuracy and functional reliability, while the Glock M-22 .40 S&W ("semi"- DA) and LW Commander .45 (SA) tied for second. The Browning P-35 9mm (SA) was rated fourth and the Smith & Wesson M-39 9mm (DA) last.”
Chuck Taylor, Director of The American Small Arms Academy

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down