Who Makes Good Mags? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Who Makes Good Mags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tripps aren't magic - they'e good magazines just like Wilson ETM's and Chip McCormick. In 10 round magazines, the Chip McCormick is a better design than the Tripp or Wilson.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #12

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
Tripp Research, Wilson Combat & Check Mate with Hybrid Lips; in that order.

But, it seems that all the Philipine made 1911s can have a problem with 8 round mags, for some reason, so you may find that your RIA will work better with the above brand mags in 7 round, also.

To add to that, all 3 of the ACT mags which would not work in my American Classics or Rock Island, work fine in my Colt & Kimber. So I don't believe the problem is solely with the magazine.
My Armscor 1911 eats everything, the 8rd mags are all i use, never had a problem.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 08-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #13

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Sounds like you got a good'n. Three American Classics & one Rock Island wouldn't feed with any 8 round mag until I got a Check Mate Hybrid & a couple Wilsons.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i use the either the Wilson Combats or the Chip McCormack mags. i relegate all the OEM mags for range use only. in the American Classic and the RIA, the biggest flaw in their pistols are the mags. but as that i always buy more mags anyways, this is hardly of concern to me.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #15

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
Sounds like you got a good'n. Three American Classics & one Rock Island wouldn't feed with any 8 round mag until I got a Check Mate Hybrid & a couple Wilsons.
Well thats with Wilsons, the factory mag that came with mine was junk. :-)

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #16

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by winch View Post
I am new to 1911's. I have a RIA 1911A1, basic GI model, single stack. The 7 round factory mag works fine, but the 8 round aftermarket mag hangs up and FTF. I'm pretty sure it's not the gun since it only happens with the 8 round mag.

I am still in the break in mode....maybe 200 rounds down the pipe.

Who makes a good 1911 mag and does it matter whether you go 7 or 8 shot?

Thanks in advance.

Winch
Please read this;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/ruger-sr1911-69886/#post898730

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I use Wilson combat mags in a 3.5 ria. Never an issue. As mentioned above the guru says the Tripp mags are amazing. I still have yet to order any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKelly View Post
I'll cast another vote for Wilson. I use them in both my Kimber and Springfield 1911's.

A friend of mine has an Ed Brown and he even likes the Wilson mags over the high dollar Ed Brown.
I respectfully disagree with your assumption.

From L to R; Tripp Cobra, Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Find the weld on the Tripp.

From L to R; Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Notice the fluid stampings of the Tripp mag on the left and right. The .45 case head sits square against the back wall of the Tripp mag, the Wilson is rounded and forces the round forward when it presents for stripping. AND, the Tripp mag feed lips are CNC finished.

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six months old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

As a retired engineer, this is how my mind works while looking at new products. When a company makes guns and mags that go into them, the mag becomes an area where they can cut production costs. When the company only makes mags, their entire R&D budget is used on mags. Think about that!

Tripp Research Gen II Cobra Magazines

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
Most do not know that there are three 1911 magazine types that will produce defferent results.

The original magazine that was developed to function in the GI 1911 was a 7 round with tapered feed lip, in this configuration the rim of the cartridge would rise up as it was being stripped of the magazine by the slide allowing for a steeper trajectory and facilitating a quicker grab by the extractor, a very reliable design with FMJ 230 gr hard ball ammo.

In the middle of the 20th century the Hensley & Gibbs #68 projectile was introduced and thrown into the mix by bulls eye shooters and was dubbed the wadcutter, being a shorter cartridge with wider shoulders to cut wider holes in paper, the barrels throat need it to be modified by way of widening and also the magazine feed lip configuration was modified by way of shortening the feed lips to allow a quicker release and making the lips parallel to each other producing a lower projectile trajectory that make full contact with the feed ramp instead of a glancing impact as the tapered feed lip type.

In the 60's Colt had a stock pile of 7 round tapered lip magazine and to stay in the game and up with the time decided to modify them by shortening the lips to allow for a quick release while maintaining the tried and true integrity and attributes of the tapered feed lip, thous the hybrid feed lip magazine was born, a magazine that would raise the cartridge under the extractor at a steeper trajectory with the benefits of a quick release of the wadcutter, accommodating a wide array of cartridge lengths the best of both worlds.

The magazine on the left is the tapered feed lip hard ball type that is still available by some manufactures.
The magazine in the center is the hybrid feed lip that is offered by Colt and Checkmate Industries.
The magazine on the right is the straight feed lip quick release type that is included with most modern 1911

Steeper trajectory hybrid magazine

Lower trajectory wadcutter magazine

^^ Great info cuba but let me speak to the Tripp product.

My references will be made to the two currently offered Tripp Research Gen II Cobra Mags below;

..............^ The 7R-45-RO and the 8R-45-RG ^

What you show above are classic easily identifiable steps but the truth is everybody tweaks theirs a little different from the amount of taper, to the release point, and even the internal radius of the feed lips. Tripp's Gen I tubes all had ".45" feedlips. The Gen II mags are somewhere between the middle hybrid and the one on the right.

Tripp further shorten the 10mm feedlips from the stock length based on customer feedback. They listen to their customers and they said the shortened feedlips work better.

- orangello

Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
Tripps makes one of the highest quality magazine in the industry, though I've personally never inspected one I believe that the feed lip configuration is of the wadcutter type, and the follower is manufactured by Checkmate Industries.
For the record, Tripp would classify their Cobra Gen II as a straight feedlip design though there is a minor taper and the internal radius is not quite standard.

The Tripp hybrid follower is 100% Texas made.

- orangello

Old 08-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I use 8rd Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Mags and 47Ds, they have been flawless.
I need to make my position as clear as possible on my preference of the Tripp Gen II Cobra.

I AM NOT BASHING anyone's magazine choice. (Wray this is NOT aimed at you.)

My preference for Tripp mags is based on my 35 years as a mechanical engineer and my experience with said mags.

McCormick, Wilson, Mec-Gar, Colt and many other marks make a fine 1911 magazine. When I compare the Gen II to any of them, there is little doubt the Tripp's are a cut above all I've mentioned.

There is no real price difference with other hi-end mags and I find that telling because Tripp uses a proprietary spring that lasts on average 2-3 times longer than any music wire spring found in all the Tripp competitor's mags.

I have done my homework and I will not carry any other mag than Tripp. And for all those other "test" mags I have accumulated, they have been designated for range use. Oh, by the way, Tripp makes great Upgrade Kits for those sub-standard mag tubes.

- orangello