Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Who Makes Good Mags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Who Makes Good Mags?

I am new to 1911's. I have a RIA 1911A1, basic GI model, single stack. The 7 round factory mag works fine, but the 8 round aftermarket mag hangs up and FTF. I'm pretty sure it's not the gun since it only happens with the 8 round mag.

I am still in the break in mode....maybe 200 rounds down the pipe.

Who makes a good 1911 mag and does it matter whether you go 7 or 8 shot?

Thanks in advance.

Winch

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Canebrake is our resident 1911 guru, and he swears by Tripp research (no, I'm not affiliated). I hope he stops in to give you the rundown on them, some really good info.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by winch
I am new to 1911's. I have a RIA 1911A1, basic GI model, single stack. The 7 round factory mag works fine, but the 8 round aftermarket mag hangs up and FTF. I'm pretty sure it's not the gun since it only happens with the 8 round mag.

I am still in the break in mode....maybe 200 rounds down the pipe.

Who makes a good 1911 mag and does it matter whether you go 7 or 8 shot?

Thanks in advance.

Winch
I use Wilson combat mags in a 3.5 ria. Never an issue. As mentioned above the guru says the Tripp mags are amazing. I still have yet to order any.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #4

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'll cast another vote for Wilson. I use them in both my Kimber and Springfield 1911's.

A friend of mine has an Ed Brown and he even likes the Wilson mags over the high dollar Ed Brown.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Most do not know that there are three 1911 magazine types that will produce defferent results.

The original magazine that was developed to function in the GI 1911 was a 7 round with tapered feed lip, in this configuration the rim of the cartridge would rise up as it was being stripped of the magazine by the slide allowing for a steeper trajectory and facilitating a quicker grab by the extractor, a very reliable design with FMJ 230 gr hard ball ammo.

In the middle of the 20th century the Hensley & Gibbs #68 projectile was introduced and thrown into the mix by bulls eye shooters and was dubbed the wadcutter, being a shorter cartridge with wider shoulders to cut wider holes in paper, the barrels throat need it to be modified by way of widening and also the magazine feed lip configuration was modified by way of shortening the feed lips to allow a quicker release and making the lips parallel to each other producing a lower projectile trajectory that make full contact with the feed ramp instead of a glancing impact as the tapered feed lip type.

In the 60's Colt had a stock pile of 7 round tapered lip magazine and to stay in the game and up with the time decided to modify them by shortening the lips to allow for a quick release while maintaining the tried and true integrity and attributes of the tapered feed lip, thous the hybrid feed lip magazine was born, a magazine that would raise the cartridge under the extractor at a steeper trajectory with the benefits of a quick release of the wadcutter, accommodating a wide array of cartridge lengths the best of both worlds.

The magazine on the left is the tapered feed lip hard ball type that is still available by some manufactures.
The magazine in the center is the hybrid feed lip that is offered by Colt and Checkmate Industries.
The magazine on the right is the straight feed lip quick release type that is included with most modern 1911

Steeper trajectory hybrid magazine

Lower trajectory wadcutter magazine

shoot safe, shoot straight and have fun

Last edited by cuba; 08-05-2012 at 03:22 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Nice post, Cuba!

I've had success with my metalform and Chip McCormick mags. They have all performed flawlessly thus far.

One of these days I'll have to break down and buy a couple Tripps to try them out.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com
cuba Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Tripps makes one of the highest quality magazine in the industry, though I've personally never inspected one I believe that the feed lip configuration is of the wadcutter type, and the follower is manufactured by Checkmate Industries.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #8

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts

I use 8rd Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Mags and 47Ds, they have been flawless.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

For years I carried 47D's and never had any problems. As mentioned Canebrake turned me onto the Tripps' Cobra mags and those are all I stock now as I truly believe they were blueprint designed and built with the functioning 1911 in mind.

JD

Old 08-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Tripp Research, Wilson Combat & Check Mate with Hybrid Lips; in that order.

But, it seems that all the Philipine made 1911s can have a problem with 8 round mags, for some reason, so you may find that your RIA will work better with the above brand mags in 7 round, also.

To add to that, all 3 of the ACT mags which would not work in my American Classics or Rock Island, work fine in my Colt & Kimber. So I don't believe the problem is solely with the magazine.