Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Where to get cheap 1911 scales?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I used to do woodturning and got a bit too excited buying my wood supply. So you can relate, it is like ammo stockpiling only with so much more choices and you cannot just have a piece of each...especially once you found the best or your favorites. Not to mention stumbling on too-good-to-pass-up deals.

Imagine how many scales/grips can be made from a single 16" x 16" x 8" piece of exotic wood (or burl cap), compare that to one bowl if I turn it. Now imagine having 2 industrial grade shelving floor to ceiling high full of that stuff. BTW, this is after I trimmed my stash by about 90% due to a job related relocation. (Yep I am bragging/gloating now lol)
Haha it's alright. We all do it. But that sound pretty interesting. My grandpa used to buy exotic wood and make knife handles out of them. They are spectacular.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I am planning on making 1911 pistol scales out of exotic woods and maybe out of antler later and need a model. I want it as cheap as possible as long as it is dimensionally accurate. Anyone know a good source?

Being clueless about 1911, if there are different sizes/patterns, I would appreciate help on what to start with as well.

It potentially will become another (financially dangerous) hobby but not sure yet until I tried and see if I liked it.

Thank you.
Look at some of the knife making web sites. They have nice scales for knife handles. They might work for you.

Bob Miller