Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Where to get cheap 1911 scales?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Where to get cheap 1911 scales?

I am planning on making 1911 pistol scales out of exotic woods and maybe out of antler later and need a model. I want it as cheap as possible as long as it is dimensionally accurate. Anyone know a good source?

Being clueless about 1911, if there are different sizes/patterns, I would appreciate help on what to start with as well.

It potentially will become another (financially dangerous) hobby but not sure yet until I tried and see if I liked it.

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have a set of Hogue rubber grips that are standard size for a Full size 1911 or Commander. If you'd like them, PM me your address and I'll drop them in the mail.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

You might try something like the plastic models that gun stores use to display Hogue grips.
There are different sizes and patterns. Standard 5" Government model 1911s usually all have the same grips.
Then you have the Bobtail 1911s, Commander 1911s, 3" sub-compact.
Don't forget about the "sort of" copies, like Llama, and Star.

You could also just buy a cheap set of grips to use as a template.
I have made a few grips before, it really pays to have a bandsaw, a drill press, and a stationary belt sander.

If I were you, I would just start out making grips for standard 5" government type 1911s, and see where that takes you.

Last edited by General_lee; 10-30-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The true J.M. Browning 1911 pattern pistols have two sizes. (The only two you should concern yourself with if you are going to sell/profit from your new hobby.)

1. The 1911 Government and Commander
  2. And the Officers/Compact/Defender

Then there's the different styles:

And the thickness options:

Good luck and keep us in the info loop!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
You might try something like the plastic models that gun stores use to display Hogue grips.
There are different sizes and patterns. Standard 5" Government model 1911s usually all have the same grips.
Then you have the Bobtail 1911s, Commander 1911s, 3" sub-compact.
Don't forget about the "sort of" copies, like Llama, and Star.

You could also just buy a cheap set of grips to use as a template.
I have made a few grips before, it really pays to have a bandsaw, a drill press, and a stationary belt sander.

If I were you, I would just start out making grips for standard 5" government type 1911s, and see where that takes you.
Thanks. I already have all those shop "toys" and possibly all the exotic wood I need to last me my lifetime making grips as a hobby if ever (remnant of my previous hobby). LOL

Old 10-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The true J.M. Browning 1911 pattern pistols have two sizes. (The only two you should concern yourself with if you are going to sell/profit from your new hobby.)
  1. The 1911 Government and Commander
  2. And the Officers/Compact/Defender

Then there's the different styles:

And the thickness options:

Good luck and keep us in the info loop!
Great info...thank for the lead.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Thanks. I already have all those shop "toys" and possibly all the exotic wood I need to last me my lifetime making grips as a hobby if ever (remnant of my previous hobby). LOL
Okay you got me curious. What was your previous hobby???

Old 10-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSe63xy View Post
Okay you got me curious. What was your previous hobby???
I used to do woodturning and got a bit too excited buying my wood supply. So you can relate, it is like ammo stockpiling only with so much more choices and you cannot just have a piece of each...especially once you found the best or your favorites. Not to mention stumbling on too-good-to-pass-up deals.

Imagine how many scales/grips can be made from a single 16" x 16" x 8" piece of exotic wood (or burl cap), compare that to one bowl if I turn it. Now imagine having 2 industrial grade shelving floor to ceiling high full of that stuff. BTW, this is after I trimmed my stash by about 90% due to a job related relocation. (Yep I am bragging/gloating now lol)

Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I have a set of Hogue rubber grips that are standard size for a Full size 1911 or Commander. If you'd like them, PM me your address and I'll drop them in the mail.
Thanks for the very generous offer. If I cannot find a cheap one locally, I might take you up on that.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Okay, just let me know.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams