Where is all this RIA love coming from? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Where is all this RIA love coming from?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I dont have an RIA per say, but my High Standard is made by Armscor too. Its the best money ive ever spent on a gun, its been 100% reliable and accurate for 1,300rds. Alot of people have been seeing alot of the same results from the RIA.
Exactly

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #12

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I can relate. I bought an American Classic Government model for $400 & change. Cleaned & lubed it & took it to the range. Accuracy was great. Cycled thru about 50 rounds FMJ smooth as silk. Really, really nice crisp light trigger, about 3-1/2 lbs. I turned to another shooter & remarked, "this is the best $400 I've ever spent".

Then at about round 70, the front sight flew into never-never land.

Long story shortened, that pistol spent 7 months at a warranty center, deemed unrepairable & a replacement ordered. The repair center received the replacment & found the sight on it was crooked. Importer agreed to upgrade me to a 'Deluxe' model. Nothing but feeding problems with it. If I had all the money I've spent for the original pistol, magazines trying to find one that would work & ammo testing it, I'd be able to buy a top of the line Colt! Not to mention all the hair pulling (I don't have any to spare) & unsavory language I have learned.

Yet, constantly reading the praises of the American Classic. Not only that, but I also have an American Classic Commander with feeding problems, but that's for another rant.

Now, so that I won't be accused of hijacking this thread, I just got my Rock Island back from the warranty center, repaired because of the notorious 'nose-dive' problem & failure to chamber the first round. Needless to say, I am not real high on the Phillipine pistols of any flavor.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #13

Here's my angle, I own Colt, Kimber, and a Nighthawk, But I shoot the hell out of my Rock's, Why, because they flatout work, Work everytime. The thing that your not taking into consideration is that Armscor is one of the largest producers of firearms in the world, Granted they are not an American company, but they are larger than most if not all the manufactures in the US combined. Why wouldn't they have a quality product.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #14

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have been reading 1911 sob stories for some time now here at the FTF and can say that Taurus far exceeds RIA in owner complaints.

Most of the Taurus complaints are directed to the customer service (or lack-there-of) where RIA seems to bend over backwards to keep their customers happy.

Don't get me wrong, I wear my Colt bias out in the open but have to say I would buy an RIA long before I would consider a Taurus.

I find your statement "I remember when junk was junk. RIA is what like somali pirates use." as biased as "Still, my SIG 1911 pwnes all!!"

Now can't we all just get along? - someone from LA

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #15

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I spent 45 min at the RIA booth at SHOT. Talking to the guys at that booth, and I can tell you they stand behind their product and it is QUALITY. They are great guns for a great price.

I watched with my own eyes a guy throw his RIA down range into the dirt run down pick it up slap a mag in it and empty all 8 rounds as fast as he could pull the trigger. It might not be a nighthawk, but they are a rock solid dependable gun.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go here and read about them,

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

your opinion may change.....

Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #17

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Don't get me wrong fellas! I have no complaint with the service from the American Classic or Rock Island folks. I guess my complaint is that with all the good things I've heard about both brands, I get (3) A.C.s (4 if you count the one I never took possession of) & one RIA & problems with everyone of them! I'm known on one of the forums I go to as the 1911 Jinx! Of course, that's really not true because my Colts & Kimber have been flawless from day one.

Having said all that, if either one of them ever offer a lightweight commander size pistol, especially a 4-1/4" with barrel bushing or a CCO type 1911, I'll buy it.