What would you reccomend
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What would you reccomend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What would you reccomend

From what I can tell I should be making some good commissions soon.So yep Im looking to get another handgun. I only have one and its a RIA 1911a1.
I think I would like a smaller 45 for carry. The 1911 is the type I want but have read that the shorter barrel 1911,s are not as reliable as the full size.I just really like the looks and idea of the shorter 1911 45acp in a high ride holster.
Would you recommend this or something more on the line of a small 9mm or even a 357 or 38 revolver? I sure like the energy a 45acp will deliver downrange but want something thats not to cumbersome to carry.
Thanks
Daryl

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2009, 02:21 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Daryl - I ROUTINELY carry a 4.25" barreled 1911, and have for several years. First it was a Kimber Pro Raptor II and now it's a Nighthawk T3.

Both pistols have/had full steel frames and slides and I never had a problem with either one.

I have the utmost confidence in both pistols' abilities to take care of business.

The 1911 is THE pistol to own and it's been around for over 100 years in active combat roles for a reason.

John Browning was a genius - and his masterpiece is still VERY relevant....

Anyone that tells you differently hasn't experienced the true wonder of the platform...

JD

Old 04-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When you're right JD, you're right. I carried my Colt Government for years without any issues...1911 in .45 ACP, the ultimate combat platform.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #4

Default 1911

Thankyou JD and dunerunner.
Daryl

Old 04-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Chr

Default I agree 1911 is the way to go

I carry a full size Kimber SS Gold Match ll. Just ordered a Kimber Eclipse Pro ll for my Summer carry. I like steel frames and do not mind the weight. As far as how well the shorter barrel will shoot. You will find most guns will out shoot the shooter.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I got one of these for cc if my permit ever comes in, maine permit apps are up like 600% right now. Kimber stainless ultra carry 3" with night sights and laser grips. I have taken it out to shoot and love it. I really like the laser grips just in case of the need for it in no/low light situation and don't have to rely on standard sight acquisition if you were to be in a compromising position... Plus I just think the kimbers are sexy as hell

Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hands down, a 1911 Light Weight Commander (preferably a Colt model O4860XSE) chambered in 45 ACP with a trio of Tripp Research 8R-45-RG Cobra Mags loaded with Hornaday 45 ACP+P 230 GR TAP-FPD!

1coo4860xse.jpg

You'll love it and the BGs will avoid you just because of the Jokeresk smile on your face!

Don't let anyone tell you that a 3" 1911 isn't reliable! That's flat out BS! And for a carry gun it's ideal! Deadly accurate for PD use. It's not a 25 - 50m target gun, it's a CCW! I trust my life with my Defender!

My Defender as new;

Stage II;

The beginning of stage III;

If you are going to carry, start out with a quality 1911. Never start with the intention to make it better, only better looking!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Thats a nice piece you got there cane!! What do those run if you dont mind me asking?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Thats a nice piece you got there cane!! What do those run if you dont mind me asking?
I paid 799$ a year ago, if you can find one now, they are going for that or more used!

I could not give my Defender a higher recommendation!

I am a long time 5" Government shooter and the transition to the mini-me 1911 took some adjustment. It has run flawlessly since I mastered the 3" barrel.

This gun is great for CQB which is what it is designed to do. For jobs >8m I go to my 5" Government. For 1 shot, 1 stop I put the 460 Roland Barrel in the Government.

The Defender gives me all day carry comfort with 8+1 45 ACP +P power. IMHO, it just doesn't get any better.

This one went for 895$ AA Auction, NIB Series 90 Defender

Another great Colt 3" is the New Agent.

Same great Colt Series 90 action but in black, w/wood stocks and no sights, just a view channel for optimum carry.

Price and ability to find one is similar to the Defender.

You won't be disappointed with a Colt!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello