What are the top 1911 brands under 900$? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What are the top 1911 brands under 900$?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #51
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 215 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 116

My SIG 1911 Tacpac cost me $750 delivered. And it came with 3 stainless steel mags, paddle holster with spare mag holder and their hard case. There are some truists that don't consider it a real 1911 because of the external extractor, I consider it a rework of the great pistol. Mine has NEVER failed once, save for a few times the slide not locking back on an empty mag. But some oil on the slide lock lever did away with that. You can't beat a SIG for reliability and warranty.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 10-23-2013, 04:05 AM   #52

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

I have several 1911s but unfortunately only a few are in that price range.

However, I picked up Ruger SR1911 a few months ago and I have next to no complaints. The trigger was a little heavy for my tastes out of the box at 5.25 pounds (blah!) and the thumb safety disengaged a bit too easily. Other than that, it has been a great shooter.

Nit-picking the SR1911....the feed ramp needed a bit of polishing (if it isn't a mirror, it isn't good enough), some of the internal contact surfaces needed a bit of polishing, the thumb safety has a bit too much of a gap between the edge of the extended lever and the frame (and it doesn't have quite as pleasing of a contour as an Ed Brown tactical extended thumb safety), the detent cut in the thumb safety had to be deepened a little to keep the thumb safety from getting accidentally clicked off during concealed carry (cocked an unlocked is a little spooky), trigger was a bit stiff out of the box but was easily tuned down to a 4.0 consistent pull)...

MIM. I don't trust it regardless of who makes it. Good example? Front sights on the Ruger 1911 Commanders - they are shearing off all over the place - they are MIM. MIM is for cost reduction, not quality improvement - the two rarely go hand in hand. Cost reduction has no place on a pistol intended for self defense if It has the potential to reduce reliability one iota. In my experience with MIM parts, the mere suggestion they present a risk to reliability of only one iota is nothing less than exceptionally wishful thinking.

Overall the Ruger SR1911 is a fairly solid pistol and certainly exceptional for the price but it is considerably better with a bit of polishing and a few minor part replacements. I tend to carry my slightly tweaked Ruger almost as much as my custom Colt Commander...but to some degree, that might be because the idea of a $3000+ custom pistol spending even a day in an evidence locker bothers me.

Just my opinion after 35+ years of firearms - take or leave as you please.
StainlessSteel215 Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #53

I just picked up a ruger sr full size. It's a great gun. I've put about 150 rounds through it without a problem. Plus it's a beautiful gun.

Problem is that now I want another 1911. I've been looking at the sig tacops, R1 enhanced, range officer, and kimber custom 2.

I think I've all but eliminates the kimbers. I haven't shot one but it seems like people either love then or hate them. All the others seem to get generally good marks from all.

Today it's the sig tomorrow I'm sure ill change my mind again.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #54

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsin
I just picked up a ruger sr full size. It's a great gun. I've put about 150 rounds through it without a problem. Plus it's a beautiful gun.

Problem is that now I want another 1911. I've been looking at the sig tacops, R1 enhanced, range officer, and kimber custom 2.

I think I've all but eliminates the kimbers. I haven't shot one but it seems like people either love then or hate them. All the others seem to get generally good marks from all.

Don't forget to look at the Smith & Wesson Eseries

Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing
Don't forget to look at the Smith & Wesson Eseries
Ah yes I have looked at the eseries sc too. I just can find any in the LGS to hold. But that is at the top of the list.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #56

Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsin View Post

I had the same problem when I was looking for my first 1911, one day I would want brand x the next day it was another. I just saved up cash and went shopping at a few different places. One will just jump out at you like my TRP did.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #57

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

AWESOME entry-level commander length 1911 thats got rave reviews across the boards. Its not a Wilson or an Ed Brown...but its ROCK SOLID. I owned one of these a couple years back and traded it...I regret it every single day! They make a blued and 2-tone version as well

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1171/products_id/61672/Bersa+ACC45C+1911+Commander+45+ACP+4.25%22+8%2B1+W ood+Grip+Hard+Chro
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #58

Liked 126 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
AWESOME entry-level commander length 1911 thats got rave reviews across the boards. Its not a Wilson or an Ed Brown...but its ROCK SOLID. I owned one of these a couple years back and traded it...I regret it every single day! They make a blued and 2-tone version as well

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1171/products_id/61672/Bersa+ACC45C+1911+Commander+45+ACP+4.25%22+8%2B1+W ood+Grip+Hard+Chro
Earlier this year MetroArms introduced their Commander in 9MM. Blued only.

And it is awesome!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #59
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post

that pistol is rock solid without a doubt! i bought one especially for a project i had in mind. and anyone who thinks because they come from the Phillipine Islands, they are cheaply made pistols is sadly mistaken. the American Classics and the RIA's are great pistols at a great price.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/american-classic-commander-modified-75656/
qwiksdraw Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #60

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've been researching this topic a lot lately:

Kimber is either hot or cold, no in between, people either hate or love them. I just sent mine off for a couple of issues. Let's see ho they do for customer service.

Para I've heard much more bad than good about their customer service. I think their guns are as good as most but any company is going to have defects they should be happy to fix them. I almost bought a Para Warthog until I saw all the customer service complaints on multiple forums.

Sig seems like their guns are as reliable as anyone. I have a P938 that shoots anything I feed it. I've heard very few complaints about Sigs, and I've heard very good things about their customer service.

Springfield seems to have a great reputation too. I have 2 EMP and 2 XDS with no issues so far. I also hear their customer service is very good.

STI has a very good reputation for their guns but I've heard very little about their customer service. Maybe that's a good sign.