What time is it? Almost Colt time! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What time is it? Almost Colt time!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Chris, great choice! Now let the old man help you with a positive first experience with this Teflon coated, alloy-receiver Colt.

Do NOT polish the feed ramp, or should I say prep the ramp with 500 rounds of 230 gr WWB ball. NO lead WC, SWC or HP defensive ammo! Trust me on this one.

This is a copy of my post to a noob worried about (rumored) feed issues of the 1911 (Chris, do not take my obvious frustration below as personal ):

Don’t do anything to, or complain about the “new” gun until you have run 500 rounds of 230 gr Ball (that’s Full Metal Jacket noob) ammo downrange. Don’t try HP’s, +P’s or anything other than what JMB designed the thing to shoot!

Don’t shoot any of the first 500 rounds at a target located greater than 10 meters away. (it’s a gun test not a competition noob) Don’t clean it, don’t field strip it, do nothing but run a jag down the barrel to make sure there is no cosmoline remaining from shipping protection.

If you don’t get the full 500 rounds done in one shoot, let it marinate in the soot and range sweat until you get back to the job at hand. OK, you can wipe the exterior down but don’t go inside yet. (you’re not ready noob)

That job is NOT Break-In, it’s a new gun test to decide if you’re going to send it back to the manufacturer and have them make it right.

This is the time to check for the following:
  • Does it feed with all the mags that came with it?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock on the last round?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with only one round loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with two rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with three rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with four rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with five rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with six rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with seven rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag +1?
  • Where does the brass fall?
  • Does the gun feel solid?
  • Is anything found loose? Grips? Sights? Barrel?........
  • Yes, the slide stop/release is tight. (it’s a new gun noob)
  • Does it fire with the thumb safety on and the grip safety engaged? (do this sans ammo)
  • Does it fire with the thumb safety off and the grip safety off? (do this sans ammo)
  • Trigger take-up?
  • Trigger brake? It should be a surprise.
  • Trigger reset?
  • Does it shoot to aim?
  • Did you take notes?

Shoot the snot out of it.

Once the "Gun Test" is successfully completed and you have found no issues requiring factory attention then, and only then can you start with your ammo testing. I bet it will feed everything including empty brass!

Chris, I sent you a PM.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #12

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Yeah, I loved your post the first time and it is great in this thread, too. Thanks for the information. I'm usually just fine with used guns, but so often the history is murky with pistols being traded back and forth. Since it is my plan that this gun will be a keeper, I'm going to buy it new and treat it right from day 1.

Ball ammo...check
500 rounds...ouch ($$$)...check
Wait for HP...check
Shoot the snot out of it...I can't wait!!!

My New Agent will perform bedside duty until the LWC has been duly baptized the JMB way.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 01-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #13

It is sold! For $660...and then I got home and found a PM offering $675. Them's the breaks. I sold it to a young fellow who said it was his first gun. That's some pretty cool mojo.

On payday this Friday I will be on my way to Keith's. If they've got a Colt LWC in stock I will have pics next weekend. I'm really excited.

I might be taking a trip to the Estacada rock quarry so I can shoot ball ammo that's a little cheaper than range prices. Anyone?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #14

Default It's Kimber time!

I finally got my 900 smackers in one place and went down to Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham, OR. Service is efficient--but not warm--and the prices are spectacular. I don't even see better deals on any website EVER.

The Colt LWC was gone. What to do? Start reading more, studying more, looking at what owners have to say about their guns, then really consider what my needs are.

I went with an all-steel Kimber Pro TLE II. I wanted to be able to fire one-handed so the reduction of 5 oz. was enough for me and I didn't lose the steel character of the 1911. It turns out Meprolight night sights are AWESOME. The night sights on my SA were very difficult to use in daylight, but the Kimber sights use white around the tritium canisters, which makes is super-easy to acquire in bright light. I didn't realize how much I wanted a black gun. KimPro is no Roguard or Cerakote, but it'll do for right now.

The manual says 400-500 rounds of ball for break-in with a cleaning every 150-200 rounds. So it looks like a 2- or 3-trip process to the range and my cleaning bench. It also sounds like $200-$250 in ammo and range fees.

What is the experience of other owners? I want to treat this gun right. I have no plans to get rid of it unless after several thousand rounds it is still hiccuping or something. This is a keeper!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

i think you shoulda got the colt. even if you had to wait a bit. but congrats

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #16

The "missing" Colt didn't force me into the Kimber. It gave me pause and a chance to think about the purchase. At the same price, I decided night sights really were important to me. And there are a whole lot of Kimber supporters out there, just like Colt, because of the product that they make. Now I've got a Colt AND and a Kimber.

And it's black.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations Chris. Shoot the heck out of it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Congratulations Chris. Shoot the heck out of it.
I think Cane puts it this way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Shoot the snot out of it
Duly noted. Until it has several hundred through it, I won't even even be putting HP through it. And until it hits 4-500, I won't put it into save-my-life duty.

It'll take some time to pay for that much ammo and get a few Tripp magazines.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #19

I have a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II. Its saweet. I LOVE it. It did jam alot in the break in period, but after the 300 round mark, I havent had a single Jam yet. Great gun, awesome accuracy. Kimber is one of the better 1911's you can get. I would say better than colt. However, keep the barrel nice and oiled, because mine started to rust (only the barrel) from carrying it. So make sure it has plenty of oil, shoot the heck out of it and dont worry about any jamming until after the break in period. Have fun!

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 AM   #20

User Name, when you say "jam" do you mean the next round not being effectively stripped off the mag into battery? Or some other failure? I suppose the barrel issue is a reason to get NP3 from Robar on all the internals.

Because of the thread title there are a lot of Colt fans looking at this one. I got nothin' bad to say 'bout Colts. Just wanted something diff for this slot in my arsenal. Thanks for the Kimber props!