Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What is the springfield ils

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is the springfield ils

So I'm going to risk making an ass out of myself and sounding clueless but I'm still new to 1911s and I'm not clear on what springfields ils is pros cons anything tried googleing and I just find where you can buy it not what it does

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Assuming you mean Springfield Armory maker of the polymer XD and XDm, Springfield M1-A1 and several 1911 models.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Goto this link-----> Springfield Armory
Click on a model of 1911, say the GI .45
Click on 1911 manual
Goto pages 13-17 of the manual

Your answer lies there.

Be Well.

Last edited by neilage66; 11-07-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #4

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I have been away for a couple of days & just now seeing this...

ILS stands for Internal Locking System & is SA's mainspring locking mechanism.
It is basically a pin block that locks the mainspring and prevents the gun from cocking. It is turned 'on' & 'off' by a key thingy that comes with the gun.

One of the very 1st things that I did to my SA Loaded was to remove the entire mainspring & ILS assembly and replace with a Smith & Alexander mainspring housing & magwell combo. Replaced the SA mainspring with a 19# Wolff mainspring.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #5

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Do all their models come with this? I've been wanting a 1911 and will most likely get one this coming Jan. or Feb. I originally wanted a S&W. Then a Colt. Kimber. Sig. With my expected tax return and money in savings I would have no prob picking up a $1K gun, but lately I find myself leaning toward the GI SA 1911 for the quality and affordability. I had a Rossi .357 mag snubbie with that stupid lock thingy on it, and hated the retardedness of the whole idea. I'd definitely be changing that if I had another gun with a dumb bass lock on it.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

If memory serves me correctly, wasn't this an anti-gun group's wish for all pistols many years ago? Also, seems smith wesson kow-towed to their wishes, even though it wasn't made a law & many gun enthusiasts boy-cotted smith because of it? Anyway, I guess that all blew over because the boycott has obviously been dropped & no one mentions it. I didn't know that Springfield also did it.

I know some imports have it because, while not required, it gains them 'points' when they are trying to get their weapons approved for import by ATF.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Meh, my Bersa had one; i put the key in the safe to prevent unauthorized locking and had no problems with it. If i wanted to leave a handgun out but worried about kids (or my insane cats) i would consider it a plus.

I don't use those stupid external trigger locks or breech locks, though the one from my Ruger GP100 makes a fine padlock for my footlocker (no scuff coating).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

i think all new springfields have them. best thing is to get rid if the ils all together. things like that have a tendency to break when you really need it. not a good thing on any gun much less a sd gun.

and if anyone has a good way of getting rid of the bersa lock i would love to know

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #9

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Do all their models come with this? I've been wanting a 1911 and will most likely get one this coming Jan. or Feb. I originally wanted a S&W. Then a Colt. Kimber. Sig. With my expected tax return and money in savings I would have no prob picking up a $1K gun, but lately I find myself leaning toward the GI SA 1911 for the quality and affordability. I had a Rossi .357 mag snubbie with that stupid lock thingy on it, and hated the retardedness of the whole idea. I'd definitely be changing that if I had another gun with a dumb bass lock on it.
Yes, as far as I know yes all of the new production model SA's have this...
I guess that the good thing about it is that it is easily removed. The change to mine took like 10 minutes to do.