What are some notable duty 1911's?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What are some notable duty 1911's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What are some notable duty 1911's?

What are some notable 1911's that are issued around the US in Agencies and Military?

All I've come up with is Springfield TRP Operators (US Marshals) and Kimber Warriors (Marine Force Recon).

Is there anything else?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3100 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Ed Brown - Special Forces
Kimber (I think) - some SWAT teams.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #3

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
What are some notable 1911's that are issued around the US in Agencies and Military?

All I've come up with is Springfield TRP Operators (US Marshals) and Kimber Warriors (Marine Force Recon).

Is there anything else?
Kimber SIS - LAPD's Special Investigation Section
Kimber Custom II - LAPD SWAT
Kimber ProCarry - Tacoma Police Dept.

I think that is it for major depts. Tough to go agains the Glock tide when your gun is double what they charge in bulk.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sig TACOPS, Texas state police SWAT uses it
SA professional is used by FBI special agents and SWAT uses it

Old 09-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm just looking to get a decent field proven 1911 this Christmas (sort of a 100 year old celebration gift for me).

I've been advised by a friend to stay away from Sig 1911's and Kimbers, any reason why?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Agencies like kimber cuz they are cheap. I dont choose a gun based off what govt does. Their main criteria is price and what fits the average. Thats seldom a good choice on a personal level.

Agencies pay faaaaaaar less than what civvies pay as a lot of times they get nearly free guns for continued patronage in parts training or just for the gunmaker to get a foot in the door.

Thats what glock did because no one wanted em so they started nearly paying police agencies to switch to get name recognition and future sales. Served em well as they got an undeserved rep for not very good product at the time.

Thats one reason i take police agency choices with a 100 pound bag of salt...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #7

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Agencies like kimber cuz they are cheap. I dont choose a gun based off what govt does. Their main criteria is price and what fits the average. Thats seldom a good choice on a personal level.

Agencies pay faaaaaaar less than what civvies pay as a lot of times they get nearly free guns for continued patronage in parts training or just for the gunmaker to get a foot in the door.

Thats what glock did because no one wanted em so they started nearly paying police agencies to switch to get name recognition and future sales. Served em well as they got an undeserved rep for not very good product at the time.

Thats one reason i take police agency choices with a 100 pound bag of salt...
Thts a heavy bag of salt! Lol

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm just looking to get a decent field proven 1911 this Christmas (sort of a 100 year old celebration gift for me).

I've been advised by a friend to stay away from Sig 1911's and Kimbers, any reason why?
Probably because he doesn't know what he is talking about and has been listening to way too many gun store counter Rambos. Kimber and SIG make darn fine pistols.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:

Maybe your friend had a bad experience. But I own two kimbers and two sig 1911's and they are great pistols. I have had zero failures with all of them. I have carried them all and i wouldnt do that unless i trusted them 110 percent.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Probably because he doesn't know what he is talking about and has been listening to way too many gun store counter Rambos. Kimber and SIG make darn fine pistols.
I was a bit harsh on my previous response but I do feel that way anyway. Many "purists" dump on guns like SIG and Kimber for having extraneous parts that did not exist in the original design. As far as I'm concerned JMB was a great and prolific inventor that was always looking for new designs. He would have been shocked if he woke up today and found out that no one was tinkering with his design.

In any case I stand by my previous statement, Kimber, SIG and others like S&W make great accurate and reliable 1911 style guns that suffer only from 1911 snobbery...