Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What not to do.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

As far as building a heap into art, it can be done but there is a lot of work involved. Fitting is uber important so if your going to do it start there. True the frame first, then fit the slide to the frame then the barrel to the slide and barrel bushing to barrel. The only thing is dropping 1500 to build up a junk gun results in a 1500$ gun that's worth 300.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #12

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastom101 View Post
As far as building a heap into art
The other caveat is, no matter how well intentioned, any gun you "build"

will still, likely, sell for it's original purchase price, or less.

So it's a good idea, only when you're building this gun for yourself.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20030 Times on 11390 Posts
Likes Given: 50532

i guess i'll have to remind myself to leave my 1911's alone from now on and leave them stock.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #14

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

My Fusion started out like this. From the beginning I intended it to be a target gun for Service Pistol matches. The Slide, Frame, and barrel were fitted for me by someone much more experienced in 1911s. I did the rest.

This is what it looks like finished. I had it sandblasted after I got everything fitted together. I then Parkerized it, and then applied Norrels Moly Resin to it. The grips were made by a retired Coastie. For Srvice pistol competition, it externally has to look like a issued gun, with the exception of sights and trigger. No beavertails, no extended controls, etc.

This was how it shot the first time I took it to the range at 50 feet.

I was pretty tickled. Threw a stray shot there in the chest, but the gun is capable.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was just trying to make the point that its not as simple as buying a cheap gun and dropping in a bunch of drop in parts. This is intended for new 1911 owners as a help to avoid common mistakes.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #16

My Springfield was a Pawn shop rescue. When the shop owner showed it to me it was in a box in pieces. It was missing three grip screw bushings and screws, the grip safety, the trigger, the barrel bushing, the grips and the front sight was loose. The frame, the slide and barrel all looked OK, so I bought it. I ordered a Smith and Alexander grip safety, and fitting jig. I bought Millet sights, standard grip screw bushings and screws. Got a used set of Pachmeyers from a buddy. A Colt Commander hammer from a gunsmith I knew. Replaced the sear and fitted it to the hammer. I didn't bother having this one blasted and re-Parkerizing it. I just sprayed on a new coat of Norrels and baked it. I ordered a fitted EGW barrel bushing and installed the sights. I had a spare aluminum trigger, I replaced the springs and was set. It's not accurate as the Fusion, but it is accurate enough. and has proven to be very reliable. I didn't take before pics. But it was built to be a no frills practical gun.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastom101 View Post
I was just trying to make the point that its not as simple as buying a cheap gun and dropping in a bunch of drop in parts. This is intended for new 1911 owners as a help to avoid common mistakes.
I agree. I'm helping reenforce that you don't need a bunch of bells and whistles to make a 1911 a great shooter. Basic works well.