What is it with everybody and their Glocks? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What is it with everybody and their Glocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glore View Post
The first day of handgun training the instructors separated the academy class into two groups. Those that had Glocks and those that had other handguns. The instructors that had to go with the "other" students were mumbling and groaning. I took note of that way before I knew much about handguns.
I see two reasons for this circumstance. One. All Glocks are the same, so it is an easy explanation. Also, unique among pistols, Glocks have no safety, so they need extra caution to keep anything away from the trigger.

The guy who gets the others has myriad systems to deal with--striker-fired like the XD/XM, SA/DA guns like FN, Ruger, and others, grip safeties, thumb safeties, decockers, and so on. This could potentially be virtually one on one instruction. I'd take on any single system over "all others", wouldn't you?

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #62

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yep, that was my point, like the ad says "simple"

Old 11-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #63

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glore View Post
I'm not seeing why people are throwing in the ring the statement that Glocks are ugly? Honestly if your choice in a firearm is based on looks over functionality, design, and reliability, wouldn't that make you just a collector? The bad guy doesn't care if your gun is fugly, he only cares that lead is being shot his way. This is a great discussion I'm not flaming anyone, both guns are awesome, that's why the debate is so heated, let's call it a draw!
I have to keep jumping in here, because I carried a Glock for five years, now I carry a Springfield XDM-45, and my new gun is a Colt XSE "Government Model".

Glock is a Toyota Camry or Honda Gold Wing. Reliable, reasonably economical, and...boring. It's the one you drive from Arizona to Newfoundland. It's not really ugly, but you don't call Paul Simon to take a picture of it on Photochrome!

The Colt 1911 is a classic Jag (not a new Ford Jag) or a Harley Davidson. You know it may be a bit less reliable, requires more maintenance, and a it's kindof a waste of your supply of U.S. currency. But you like to drive it and let others look at it.

That's how I see it. You'll notice I referenced the COLT 1911. If you want an original 1911, it's the only choice. At least it was for me. If you want a Harley Davidson, that's what you buy, not a Yamaha replica cruiser.

Anybody not mad?

P.S. When I take the XDM and the Colt to the range, I shoot better with the Colt.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #64

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Some idiot on YouTube keeps private messaging me about how his Glock is all that and a bag of potato chips after I tried to tell him that no Glock is comparable to a Colt 1911 other than that it can hold more ammunition.

So what is everybody else's opinion on this "Colt 1911 v. Glock" thing? I know some will hate me for asking this.
Comparing apples to oranges again, nothing wrong with either gun. I own a Glock 22 .40 and a Kimber Ultra CDP II .45, I love them both and use them both for different needs. My glock goes to the shop ( I am an automotive tech with my own shop), or 4 wheeling with me every time, and my 1911 goes out on the town or to the grocery store or every where else I can carry "legally" as they say.

If I get transmission fluid on my Glock I just clean it and everything is fine, now if I got tranny fluid on my 1911 I would be pissed to say the least. I love both guns and they have been flawless after I bought the Wilson Combat mags for the 1911. They both have a very distinct purpose when I pick them up and holster them, as well as all of the other guns that I own do.

Both of these guns shoot well and are a blast to take to the range. The wife likes the Glock better for shooting but the 1911 better if I am going out with it, go figure. I have to admit that I treat the Kimber better while holstered than I do the Glock, I have put more money into the 1911 after the initial purchase price than I have in the Glock (Wilson mags ). The lack of an external safety on the Glock is a non issue for me, just as the locked and cocked position for the 1911 is. It is just the way it is and I have trained enough with both to be extremely confident in my carry choices, as so far I still have both butt cheeks and legs attached LOL.

If you don't like plastic, fine buy steel, if you don't like external safeties, fine buy one without. Just think how boring life would be with just one type/brand of gun out there for us to shoot, and without something to compare to you never know what you really like or need. With that said these are not the only two guns worth this kind of thread, I would like to see something like it from some of the Ruger and S&W fans out there also.

Yeah I went there.....

Last edited by levelcross; 11-14-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #65

Likes Given: 1

I would say the 1911 is more asethetically pleasing, it looks prettier and more manly than a Glock. But I would say a Glock is more ergenomically designed for people of all sizes, not just grown men.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #66
ET1

1911's are good looking pistols with a ton of history, but are known to be finicky at times. Glocks are not necessarily good looking & have very little history, but are one of the least finicky platforms out there. My brother-in-law was a LEO in Alaska when his department transitioned into semi-autos from revolvers. They tortured all the brands and models of semi's that they were looking at. Only the Glocks survived without jambing. That is when I decided to carry a Glock myself. I have not been disappointed.

I own 1911s as well. I can't cc them effectively because of their weight & size. Plus I didn't have the money to buy a smaller size that would be reliable enough. So the Glocks are what I carry. When I want to impress someone or have real fun, I will take the 1911s out. They are more impressive to show, but they aren't what I choose to carry for protection.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:21 AM   #67

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Who could walk away from this for a Glock? This is my 01980XSE.

Photo by the owner in our makeshift home studio.

Bill
-Paul Harvey, 1964