Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What do u think about steel cases on 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What do u think about steel cases on 1911?

Hello again gentlemen, what do u guys think about rounding off Russian steel cases 230 grain FMJ ? The ammo is very cheap and affordable so I was wondering. For my prize SA1911 loaded parkerized 2010 edition NM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It's filthy. Would you feed a banana that dropped to your child?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
It's filthy. Would you feed a banana that dropped to your child?
was the bana peeled?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Unpeeled, dropped on a college bathroom floor.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Many folks use steel-cased ammo in AK's and AR's, but I'm not a fan of it. I just don't like the idea of rubbing steel cases against a steel chamber, not to mention dirty, as posted. You might consider reloading... I can produce a 50 round box of .45 ACP 230 gr FMJ for just over $10, and I recovered the equipment cost in about 18 months, with the savings.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have read the forum rules and do not see this as a violation - I hope that it is not but, if so, mods please feel free to remove this post....

I am not trying to 'plug' another forum but only offering this because there was recently a very, very informative thread concerning this same issue on the 1911forum (under the Ed Brown sub-forum). Someone there posted that his father's Ed Brown had supposedly been ruined by Herter's ammo. In the discussion it was said that Herter's is basically TulAmmo that is repackaged.
The person posting was eventually banned because he was using the discussion to bash Ed Brown CS. But Brown basically said that the slide and breech face had been ruined by using thousands of rounds of this ammo due to corrosive primers.
Here is a link to the thread:
Ed brown ruined by Herters ammo??? - 1911Forum

Also, here is one post excerpts by a guy named Greyson & he is one of the senior members of that forum and extremely knowledgable. I found his posts on this subject to be of great value:

"After some research, the issue with this ammo is not the steel "case", or the lacquer. Although one can make a case that it isn't optimal. The steel doesn't fireform as well as brass and the lacquor can leave a residue. But I digress.....

The issue is cheap Russian primers that don't form a tight seal and start to eat up the breachface and or the firing pin hole. Eventually this will cause function problems. Either relability with the loading cycle on the breechface or the FP hole becomes fouled which causes another problem. Failure to fire, or failure of the FP to return to battery. Which causes a jam.

They have seen this a "handful" of times over the years. The culprit is always cheap ammo or poor hand loads.

The two options to fix this issue are: 1. To open up the FP hole (Brown uses a 38 super hole to help prevent this) to a standard 45 FP hole. Though not ideal depending on the damage. 2. The second, and ideal option, is to replace the whole slide.

Brown offers significant discounts to the customer for either option. Brown is aware of two instances out of the "handful" that the ammo companies DID COMPENSATE THE CUSTOMER for the repairs. In these cases the customers took pics and made their argument to the ammunition makers.

In closing, if you are going to run "cheap" ammo through your pistols (any pistol) pay attention to the breechface and watch it for damage. If you start to see damage, stop using the ammo BEFORE it gets so bad it doesn't function.

-------------------
Definitions:

A couple definitions from the SAAMI glossary

PRIMER CRATERING
A circumferential rearward flow of metal surrounding the indentation of a firing-pin in a fired primer cup.

PRIMER FLOW-BACK
See Primer Cratering.

PRIMER LEAK
The escape of gas between the primer cup and head of the cartridge case, or shotshell head.

PRIMER SETBACK
The condition when a primer, or battery cup primer assembly, moves partially out of its proper location in the primer pocket of a metallic cartridge or shotshell during firing.

Some images from around the net to help illustrate what to look for:

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

And example of a 9mm/38super FP hole vs a 45 FP hole. Brown uses a 9/38 to help mitigate these issues from happening.

Google Images

Regards,
Greyson

Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Just my humble opinion, but anyone who spends big $$ on a high quality 1911 is doing themselves a disservice by shooting it with the cheapest crap ammo they can get their hands on. Is WWB or W-M federal really that much more? Sure it ain't great, but it's brass cased and you have removed one variable. If price is that big of a factor, order decent bulk ammo online when you catch a sale or start reloading.
As to the Ed Brown vs. Herters, it just seems sacrilegious to run steel cased Russian ammo through an Ed Brown. Would you let the HS dropouts at Jiffy Lube service your new Ferrari?

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #8

After this, I am never putting steel cases in my SA1911. I realized steel can break steel. WTF was I thinking. Slap on the head*