Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   What classifies something as a 1911? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/what-classifies-something-1911-a-76122/)

BeyondTheBox 11-11-2012 12:08 AM

What classifies something as a 1911?
 
Does it actually have to have the specific nomenclature designation of 1911? Does it simply have to have the main operating functions of the original 1911?

Do tell.

canebrake 11-11-2012 12:15 AM

10 Attachment(s)
To be a "1911";

I have more,

Jpyle 11-11-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1009565)
Does it actually have to have the specific nomenclature designation of 1911? Does it simply have to have the main operating functions of the original 1911?

Do tell.

In other words it has to look like this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi....S._Army_b.png

BeyondTheBox 11-11-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

In other words it has to look like this...

So no commander or officer or whatever they call the shorter barrel versions?

canebrake 11-11-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 1009574)
In other words it has to look like this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi....S._Army_b.png

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ns/1-Copy2.gif

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...lt100AV600.jpg

SSGN_Doc 11-11-2012 12:19 AM

Depends on how specific you want to be.

A 1911 would be the model of automatic pistol that Colt began manufacturing in 1911, designed by John Browning mostly by 1909. The 1911A1 featured a few changes in mainspring housing, grip safety, thumb safety, trigger and hammer spur.

Key features would be the detatchable barrel bushing, swinging link, single action trigger, grip safety, and additional thumb safety. The entire pistol as originally designed could be disassembled using only the parts of the pistol itself.

Fast forward and things have changed. Some manufacturers have utilized external extractors, done away with barrel bushings, made full length guide rods, ambidextrous safeties, beavertail grip safeties, dovetailed sights, extended and flared mag wells, etc, etc...

canebrake 11-11-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1009579)
So no commander or officer or whatever they call the shorter barrel versions?

Even if Colt, they are only a copy of John Moses Browning's original M1911.

BeyondTheBox 11-11-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake
To be a "1911";

I have more,

So for you it has to meet the precise specifications and measurements of the original 1911? So if someone mods their original 1911 to alter any of these specifications it would no lonher be considered a 1911? What if a manufacturer did it?

Jpyle 11-11-2012 12:24 AM

Damn Cane...that's a museum quality piece, yours?

SSGN_Doc 11-11-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1009592)
So for you it has to meet the precise specifications and measurements of the original 1911? So if someone mods their original 1911 to alter any of these specifications it would no lonher be considered a 1911? What if a manufacturer did it?

Again, there are technically differences between the 1911 and 1911A1


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.