What Breaks? (Other Than Your Heart) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What Breaks? (Other Than Your Heart)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I am going to pick up my Kimber when I can and shoot the heck out of it. If something breaks, well that's what the warranty is for. That's why I bought a new pistol.

I had a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special that was a good pistol, but I wasn't crazy about it and a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail that was just outstanding. If I could have afforded to buy another CBOB, I would have. In fact, selling the CBOB is on my "What the heck was I thinking?" list. But I couldn't afford one, so I bought the best quality pistol I could afford, a stainless Kimber Pro Carry II.

I'll post a range report and an evaluation. I'm not proud, if something breaks or is wrong with it, I'll post it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm View Post
i was running an arms room during the change from m1911 to m9
Sir, thank you for serving our country!

Last edited by parinoid54; 03-02-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I am going to pick up my Kimber when I can and shoot the heck out of it. If something breaks, well that's what the warranty is for. That's why I bought a new pistol.
AH! But, had you gleened info from many others of parts brakeage from this (or any other) pistol, would you still have bought it; would you have bought it and also replacement parts to exchange upon receipt? Of course, if this is not your carry for self-defense pistol, it makes little difference.

But, if someone decides to carry a 1911 pistol as their primary defense weapon, wouldn't it be somewhat reassuring that based upon other's experiences you changed out parts that others have experienced to be a weak point in this gun; be it a Kimber, Colt, S&W, etc?

This brings me to the root of the matter. I am searching for a 1911 to carry at all viable times for self defense. WHATEVER brand I choose, I want to gleen any and all info I can about it of its weak spots.

I do not believe that I am alone, so I turn to you asking for experienced help.

Last edited by parinoid54; 03-02-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I knew about the MIM. I had a Springfield Mil Spec that had MIM parts as well. Both of the Rock Island POS's I had have MIM parts. They were crap, but it wasn't because of MIM parts.

Knowing this, I am prepared to carry the Kimber once I am satisfied that it is reliable. That's assuming I can get a CCW in the (hopefully) new county we will move to.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
JonM:

So, in your opinion, WHAT caused these breakages? Was it the number of rounds fired; poor quality of part materials; or what?

I am not expecting anyone to act or speak as a metalourgist (sic), or an X-ray tech, but only your best guess.

I suspect, in the end, it will be low quality material of the parts (read: cost savings for the manufacturer). In my rediculously simple opinion, MIM/investment cast parts may be fine in auto cam lobes (YO! - Canebrake), but do not belong in a tool designed to save your or others lives.

So my original question remains, if you have experienced a parts breakage in your 1911, what part was it, and why do you think it broke?

I suppose I must add, is the difference between the cost of a CNC machined tool steel part THAT much different from a MIM part? I'm not howling at the moon, but I don't understand the logic!
mim in and of itself isnt a real issue. poor quality steel can be less durable than poor quality mim parts. it all boils down to how the parts were made and with what materials.

the breakages in my springfield were due to rough usage lots of near max loads and just running around 75k rounds thru it. i didnt notice anything wrong till i went to clean it and the safety came off in two pieces. safeties and firing pin blocks are common fail points btu they dont stop the weapon from shooting. so if one of those pieces breaks its no big deal.

this applies to any handgun:
inspection with magnifying glass of critical parts is a must. your looking for hairline cracks and the begining of fractures. replace any suspect parts BEFORE they break. i got no problem running guns with mim or investment cast parts. some of my favorite guns (bersa) are chock full of mim and investment castings. with the 1911 it is super easy to strip it down to base components for a good visual inspection. this is almost impossible for guns like glocks sigs XD and m&p. those guns are almost ALL mim parts but no one seems to have a problem with em?? why is mim an issue in 1911's??

there is nothing wrong in and of itself with mim parts. i shoot em till the parts show wear then replace with pieces from wilson or cylinder and slide or other high quality manufacturers.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-02-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #16

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I so agree with the fact that if all 1911's were made to WW2 milspecs there wold be little to no problems with them. It is when someone tried to turn the 1911 into a tackdriver that things started breaking. I am not saying the 1911 is not an accurate handgun. Mine will shoot amazing groups.

While in the CANG we had old 1911's a few drops of oil and a mag full of ball ammo and she would run like a champ. They had no parkerizing left they all looked like SS guns the slides were lose the barrels rattled some even had rifling that you could hardly see when looking down the barrel. They still all out shoot the M9. The M9 is a good weapon and served well in its life. They had their problems in the beginning as any weapon does in the military. Designers are not soldiers or marines. I know My weapons took lots of abuse LOTS. If you think something can't be broke give it to a military engineer and we will break it in 30 minutes or less.

MIM parts are just as good IF done right. If not done right then they are crap. just as if a billet part was made incorrectly it would be crap as well.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #17

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've probably put over 1,000,000 rounds through 1911s over the last 40+ years (over 5000 a week when competing), and have only had the following breakages.
firing pins
extractors
barrel links (very few)
sear springs
sears (a few)
thumb safetys
slide stops
ejectors
hammer strut pin
Any and all of these breakages are usually caused by metal fatige from more usage and abuse than the average shooter would put one through in a lifetime.

Jim..........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Last edited by masterPsmith; 03-02-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
Great, an anwser - but WHAT parts?
By example?

Magazines are usually the first to "fail" in 1911 platforms. A gun that is "problematic" with factory mags might run just fine with aftermarket mags of a higher caliber of construction and more attention to detail.

Recoil Springs. If the weapon has had a steady diet of +P ammo, or is of a high round count since the last time it was changed ( 1,500-2,500 rounds ) I would recommend a replacement.

Slide to Frame fit - If it's too tight you may experience the break in period that people talk about ( around 300-500 rounds ). This isn't a failure of a part, it's just a period of needed metal on metal wear to get everything playing together nicely. This can happen in low quality weapons, high quality weapons and even weapons that ran perfectly fine but you suddenly had a new part installed like a "competition" barrel.

Overtightening of Grip Screws - Have seen this a couple of times. Guy changes grips, or changes from thick to thin grips without changing screw lengths, and wants to gorilla the screws in place. Runs them in so far they affect the ability of the magazine to seat and unseat properly.

Firing Pin Break - Seem 2 "in all my days" and only one was on a 1911. The tip of the firing pin broke off just enough so that it would no longer punch a primer, hence the weapon no longer goes bang.

Basic stuff like that is "most common".

Hope that helps.

JD

Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #19

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

This must be the 10th or so 1911 thread that the OP has asked roughly the same questions (and got roughly the same answers). A few comments:

Any, I repeat any mechanical device can fail - I don't care if it costs $10 or $10,000.

You will not be able to buy a gun that is 100% guaranteed not to ever fail.

I have probably at least 20K rounds through a variety of 1911s and have never experienced a parts failure. These range from basic Rock Islands to higher-end Dan Wessons.

My advice to you: buy something and start learning what the 1911 is and what it can do...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-02-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
This must be the 10th or so 1911 thread that the OP has asked roughly the same questions (and got roughly the same answers).
Well, IF I have, pardon the heck out of me.

To those of you who overlooked my severe shortcomings and tried to pass on your knowledge to me - Thank You