What Breaks? (Other Than Your Heart)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What Breaks? (Other Than Your Heart)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What Breaks? (Other Than Your Heart)

I don't know how to ask this question without incurring the wrath of those who believe Mr Browning's design is impossible to break, or getting responses like, "My second cousin's son's wife heard..." . Unlike myself who has only had my 1911s less than a year, are there those of you who have extensive use and experienced a parts breakage in your 1911 while YOU were shooting it? If so...

-What broke;

-What was the manufacturers brand and how old;

-What is your best guess as to WHY (MIM, lack of lube, poor fitting, excessive rounds, a rat was sleeping in the barrel).

As a FNG to the 1911, I am drawn to all the super-superior kyptonite diamond encrested aftermarket parts, partly just because I like to play with my toys, and partly because I am dumb enough to be taken in by advertising.

So, dropping my guard and my pants to trust what you guys who worked with JMB, advising him what to do, what have you to say in your experiences and your recommendations as to what to replace with my vast fortune working at McDonalds?

Last edited by parinoid54; 03-02-2011 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Because I am so crappy at this!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 AM   #2

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post

So, dropping my guard and my pants to trust what you guys who worked with JMB, advising him what to do, have to say what you have experienced and your recommendations as to what to replace with my vast fortune working at McDonalds
I myself am way too young to have worked with JMB, but there are a few older members who might have.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

if all 1911's were made to ww2 government 1911A1 specs breakages would be very few and far between.

i was running an arms room during the change from m1911 to m9 and repair logs for th3 ww2 era 1911s we had that served in the pacific theater in actual combat in korea during actual combat in vietnam during actual combat had very very few parts breakages. our records went back to 1950 none were kept before that.

inside a year of adopting the m9 the repair logs on the m9 exceeded the last 25 years of the m1911.

properly made and maintained 1911s will last a lifetime.

unfortunately in todays mim/investment cast and cheap steel this isnt the case as reflected by the record of the m9. most modern made 1911s suffer the same amount of breakage as any other gun in most off the shelf models.

if im not mistaken colt has the fewest amount of cast or mim parts and none in critical areas of the gun. they are the closest production guns to the military 1911A1 ww2 standard.

my springfield 1911A1 has suffered in the course of the last decade 1 firing pin block breakage and one broken safety. ive got close to 75,000 rounds through it on a guess based on my shooting habits. i replace firing pin springs and recoil springs on a regular basis. im confident in this pistols quality so much so it is being converted into a dedicated 460 rowland. i would like to add neither breakage caused the weapon to stop functioning.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-02-2011 at 03:34 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Personally? I have never had a failure of parts in my 1911's. Granted. I don't buy low end products. If I know a part of a weapon I purchase is known to be a problem, I have it replaced before it is a problem.

If a magazine fails to feed or causes problems, it gets binned for ones that I know are reliable.

I recently acquired a Taurus PT-1911 as a project gun. I know that the ambi safety has been a cause for problems in the past, so I bought a new single side thumb safety and it's being replaced currently. Why risk it?

A lot of issues with 1911's that you read about are due to the owners' and their maintenance, or lack thereof.

I would take a lot of what you read about "failures" with this type of weapon with a heavy salt lick as it's been around, doing dirt, for over 100 years.

Just sayin'.

JD

Old 03-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I direct you to my new signature line. It was graciously lent to me by a member of a 1911 forum that I visit. It was in a thread about Kimber and MIM parts.

"A lot of people find facts annoying once they've made up their mind how they feel about something."

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I direct you to my new signature line. It was graciously lent to me by a member of a 1911 forum that I visit. It was in a thread about Kimber and MIM parts.

"A lot of people find facts annoying once they've made up their mind how they feel about something."
when mim parts are made with great attention to quality control they are pretty much indistinguishable from milled parts. however there are a great deal of not so good mim parts in lots of different low end gunsto higher guns that give mim and investment casting a bad name.

kimber is one of those companies with a VERY spotty history of crappy mim usage.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-02-2011, 04:59 AM   #7

JonM:

So, in your opinion, WHAT caused these breakages? Was it the number of rounds fired; poor quality of part materials; or what?

I am not expecting anyone to act or speak as a metalourgist (sic), or an X-ray tech, but only your best guess.

I suspect, in the end, it will be low quality material of the parts (read: cost savings for the manufacturer). In my rediculously simple opinion, MIM/investment cast parts may be fine in auto cam lobes (YO! - Canebrake), but do not belong in a tool designed to save your or others lives.

So my original question remains, if you have experienced a parts breakage in your 1911, what part was it, and why do you think it broke?

I suppose I must add, is the difference between the cost of a CNC machined tool steel part THAT much different from a MIM part? I'm not howling at the moon, but I don't understand the logic!

Last edited by parinoid54; 03-02-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Dammit! Now I have to sell my new Kimber before I even pick it up.

yeah, right.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Dammit! Now I have to sell my new Kimber before I even pick it up.

yeah, right.
Oh GREAT! Now it's going to take me an extra 30 seconds tonight to fall asleep for causing you to doubt. However, perhaps you should be doubtful over buying a gun that is more advertised than Obama's "investments" or Bud Light.

Still waiting on your answers! What, did I ask an embaressing question?

I made an extra $2.30 in tips tonight at Micky D's, and I want to spend it on some really great replacement parts.

Last edited by parinoid54; 03-02-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Personally? If I know a part of a weapon I purchase is known to be a problem, I have it replaced before it is a problem.JD
Great, an anwser - but WHAT parts?