What 1911? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > What 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 23 Posts

Not tryng to derail the "Kimber Express" in this thread, but you should check out STI before making your purchase. Kimber makes a fine gun, but in my opinion STI is a step up. A shooting buddy of mine got a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II at about the same time I got my STI Eagle (both guns in .45acp). We've often shot each other's guns at the range and he shoots my Eagle better than his own Kimber. Now he is considring a full size 1911 and is looking at an STI. Just something to consider. I'm sure you would be happy with a Kimber, but there are alternatives.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

GLI45 - I would agree, there isn't anything wrong with STI, as long as you are spending the money to get one of their higher end models. Their entry level guns use MIM parts from BUL out of Israel.

Nothing "wrong" with that, but in the world of the 1911, you get what you pay for and I would prefer not to have MIM parts in my pistol for the price I am paying...

JD

Old 02-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #13

Likes Given: 1

Before you buy your Kimber just take a peak at a Dan Wesson Bobtail

Old 04-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #14

FINALLY!!!! I finally bought a 1911!!! I've been wanting one forever and have had the money for a while now. I was wanting a Kimber but my local dealer (Borders Sporting Goods, Ashland, KY) hasn't had hardly any in stock since I've had the money to buy one. They told me the first part of Feb. that they ordered 70 Kimbers but they were backordered and they couldn't tell me when they'd get them in.

About 2 weeks ago some started trickling in. Oh, and the reason I was wanting to buy from them other then I like them a lot is that I had $200 in gift certificates from Xmas and my Bday. Anyways, they got some of the higher end Kimbers but not the Custom II I was wanting. They had a nice Para (PX745S GR) marked for $960 but it was a little higher then I wanted. The salesman let me hold it and I like it a lot but the price was a little high. I didn't even ask what he would take for it but he came out and said I could have it for $900. That was a lot more reasonable for this gun I thought.

Told him I would wait for the Kimber.

Went in yesterday and he handed me the Para again. I asked about a holster and he said I could have a $80 Galco for $65 and %20 off shells if I bought it. Couldn't resist!

So I'm the proud owner of a new shiny, full size, stainless 1911!

Now if it would only stop raining I could go out and shoot.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have recently made the transition from plastic to the 1911 kimber, only thing I'm thinking back on is what took me so long
I now see why they call em tack drivers

Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #16

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky2008 View Post
FINALLY!!!! I finally bought a 1911!!! I've been wanting one forever and have had the money for a while now. I was wanting a Kimber but my local dealer (Borders Sporting Goods, Ashland, KY) hasn't had hardly any in stock since I've had the money to buy one. They told me the first part of Feb. that they ordered 70 Kimbers but they were backordered and they couldn't tell me when they'd get them in.

About 2 weeks ago some started trickling in. Oh, and the reason I was wanting to buy from them other then I like them a lot is that I had $200 in gift certificates from Xmas and my Bday. Anyways, they got some of the higher end Kimbers but not the Custom II I was wanting. They had a nice Para (PX745S GR) marked for $960 but it was a little higher then I wanted. The salesman let me hold it and I like it a lot but the price was a little high. I didn't even ask what he would take for it but he came out and said I could have it for $900. That was a lot more reasonable for this gun I thought.

Told him I would wait for the Kimber.

Went in yesterday and he handed me the Para again. I asked about a holster and he said I could have a $80 Galco for $65 and %20 off shells if I bought it. Couldn't resist!

So I'm the proud owner of a new shiny, full size, stainless 1911!

Now if it would only stop raining I could go out and shoot.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #17

Default Standing on the Rock

So with all this talk of Kimbers, Para's, and Colts, I just gotta show my new Rock Island:

Not even fired yet, still wet behind the ears It's the big brother to my Rock Compact:

Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #18

Here you go. One I took with my Iphone.

Got to shoot a box through it yesterday. First time I shot a 1911 and so I don't have much to judge by, but I thought it shot good. Compared to my XD it felt like it had less recoil and got back on target a lot faster. Per the manual there is a 500 rd. break in period and it said there may be some jams during this time. I had one stove pipe that I'm told is probably due to me limp-wristing it. Other then that everything was fine.

I was shooting Blazer 230 grain ball. At 20 yds it was about 6-8 inches low. That will be annoying unless I find some ammo thats a little more accurate, which I don't think will be hard to do. I'll be buyins some dies soon so I can start reloading .45. Any suggestions for a good starting load for target shooting with my Para?

Happy so far!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Congrats on your Para Ordnance! Now you'll see why I like Para Ordnance (double stack for me).